Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Sunny skies this morning everyone --- light winds and expected 40s..
woot.gif
a downright tropical heatwave! LOL 4 perfect eggs yesterday. It seems like when the weather gets weird the girls egg laying gets weird as well. They were out for a good while yesterday evening. I wasn't home but my husband let them out for me. When I did get home, I went outside and the minute they heard me, my Liza came running full speed to greet me-- how fun. Now, as I watch this beautiful sunlight streaming into the run and coop, I find myself starting to worry about summer heat. How funny. Hope everyone gets some spring today...

After being away for so long. I feel like a newbie again.
frow.gif
All is well on the home front. Last time I posted was about the cat the killed my hen, yesterday I saw it again.
somad.gif
He was gone for a while but seems like its back again. Got to deal with him ASAP because I don't want to lose another.
I also had eggs incubating in my home made incubator. Well here is the good news out of 7 eggs, 2 hatched
jumpy.gif
; one had really bad legs and the other had curled toes. I did try to fix the one with the legs but it doesnt seem to be getting better. The temperature in the incubator fluctuated to much and while incubating I had 2 power outages. The other little one that had curled toes is all better. I made shoes for it to wear, wore them for 2 days and toes are so much straighter and its walking fine. I will post a picture of it with the shoes one and one with out the shoes. You guys do enjoy.

I just found here that it takes a while for them to get in the swing of things. I can't believe how many eggs once it starts they keep giving us. I have not gotten less than 6 eggs a day in a month. It is usually 7. That means most of them are laying every day. I can see why the hatcheries breed for egg production. I wonder how long this will keep up, and how long overall they will lay. Will be very interesting to see.

I wouldn't worry about the soft shell eggs until it happens habitually. Then we have to figure out who it is. I keep wondering who gave me that broken blood vessel egg a few days ago, I read some hens are prone to it. It was my 4th egg like that since the laying began. This past one was the worst. Not sure I could ever cull anything myself. I'd have to get help with that!

MB
Thank you. I am loving my eggs. Those girls are miraculous to keep popping those things out. I haven't seen many of those little black specks in a while so hopefully those are working themselves out too. I hope your girl that has the blood vessel problem can get that corrected over time too. She's got time. The problem is you don't know if it's going to be there until you open the egg!! I've heard that the hens will lay for about 2 years really good and then taper off to 1 or 2 a week. I've told myself that I'm going to let them be free-rangers at that point to supplement my food bill and not cull them for non-production because I'm not in it for the money, just paying for my hobby. The BA's are bred for egg production in the US so they mature earlier, produce prolifically and then drop off early, unlike the heritage breeds. At least, that's what I'm prepared for. All my suppositions are, of course, subject to change.
hu.gif

USVI yard girl! So happyto see you! I was worried about that cat, and we all missed you!!!!

Thank you so much for the update, and SO LOVE the chick pictures! Good Luck with the little ones, we just might change the title of this thread to... waiting on eggs, and incubators!

I have the itch too! Got to get a second coop!

Its THE most glorious day here... no wind.. sund shining bright, and around 42 degrees! I just came in and cooked up two eggs I grabbed out of the nest boxes, I mean that egg went from Charlotte and Rose, I watched Rose lay the egg, came inside, and cooked it up. From her to me in less than 10 minutes.. Doesn't get much better than that!

MB

All my suppositions are, of course, subject to change.
hu.gif
I have wondered what I will do. I have all ready declared that Kate, a barred rock, and Sadie, a Golden Buff have a home for life. I am also very partial to Dahlia one of my BA's. I envision them wandering around here, being the big hen mentors to the future flocks I will have. The three of them are personable, very curious, and if Duke allows, always come to greet me. Myone Columbian Wyandotte girl,, both my RIR's don't seem to have personaities that include me in their life. I think it would be easier to part with them. I love and appreciate all they do for me, and would be sad if anything happened to them, but other than that, don't have "affection" for them, not as pets. The other BA Adele is a beauty, and my other barred Rock Betta has also wormed her way into my heart. My next flock will definitally have some Heritage girls, who produce longer. I will def buy some Heritage BA and Barred and Silver Penciled Rocks. Lovely beautiful birds. Some of those heritage Barred Rock roo's are breathtaking! I will always have to have eggs though. Now that I have these fresh eggs, not sure I could live without them!

MB

I have wondered what I will do. I have all ready declared that Kate, a barred rock, and Sadie, a Golden Buff have a home for life. I am also very partial to Dahlia one of my BA's. I envision them wandering around here, being the big hen mentors to the future flocks I will have. The three of them are personable, very curious, and if Duke allows, always come to greet me. Myone Columbian Wyandotte girl,, both my RIR's don't seem to have personaities that include me in their life. I think it would be easier to part with them. I love and appreciate all they do for me, and would be sad if anything happened to them, but other than that, don't have "affection" for them, not as pets. The other BA Adele is a beauty, and my other barred Rock Betta has also wormed her way into my heart. My next flock will definitally have some Heritage girls, who produce longer. I will def buy some Heritage BA and Barred and Silver Penciled Rocks. Lovely beautiful birds. Some of those heritage Barred Rock roo's are breathtaking! I will always have to have eggs though. Now that I have these fresh eggs, not sure I could live without them!

MB
I know what you mean. I'm going to just replace my girls for production of eggs, like every year or two, but allow my older ones to live out their years, happy. Gotta cut this short as I'm out the door. Hope everyone has a fantastic day. I plan on it.

After being away for so long. I feel like a newbie again.
frow.gif
All is well on the home front. Last time I posted was about the cat the killed my hen, yesterday I saw it again.
somad.gif
He was gone for a while but seems like its back again. Got to deal with him ASAP because I don't want to lose another.
I also had eggs incubating in my home made incubator. Well here is the good news out of 7 eggs, 2 hatched
jumpy.gif
; one had really bad legs and the other had curled toes. I did try to fix the one with the legs but it doesnt seem to be getting better. The temperature in the incubator fluctuated to much and while incubating I had 2 power outages. The other little one that had curled toes is all better. I made shoes for it to wear, wore them for 2 days and toes are so much straighter and its walking fine. I will post a picture of it with the shoes one and one with out the shoes. You guys do enjoy.
Hi.... so glad to see you post again . I was worried to about that cat. Good luck getting it. I still see that dog around my property... I want a 22 riffle, a pellet gun for the squirrels and bunnies and maybe later a shotgun for salt shot... just in case the coyotes come onto the property. Congrats on the hatch. What kind were these two? Sorry I forgot...
I hope Red is doing OK with his growing stuff... I still think about Lemon...

We've ha such nice weather up until this past weekend. Yuck. It was windy and chilly. Still chilly. Ready for nicer days! A couple if weeks ago we hit 90 for goodness sake!!

Back
Top Bottom