Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hi.... so glad to see you post again . I was worried to about that cat. Good luck getting it. I still see that dog around my property... I want a 22 riffle, a pellet gun for the squirrels and bunnies and maybe later a shotgun for salt shot... just in case the coyotes come onto the property. Congrats on the hatch. What kind were these two? Sorry I forgot...
I hope Red is doing OK with his growing stuff... I still think about Lemon...
Me too,, she was such a pretty girl! I saw that he posted in a thread that on his close circuit camera he caught a hawk trying to attack his birds and was in the process of stringing some wire across the top of his run. Thankfully his dog ran after it, and the hawk flew away. I have started seeing way too many hawks for my liking. Spring means baby foxes too, I am worried for the flock.

Have you caught up since your cruise? I have thought about getting those guns that spray the streamers that are biodegradable, but also have one mare that might flip if she sees that.. I have had 2 visits recently from a hunting dog, who is now bringing a friend along with them. I've been leaving Jackson outside whenever the girls free range, but I think a female is in heat around me, as he has been dissapearing a bit, which is something I am going to have to address.....

Mel

We've ha such nice weather up until this past weekend. Yuck. It was windy and chilly. Still chilly. Ready for nicer days! A couple if weeks ago we hit 90 for goodness sake!!
I know that up and down stuff can be maddening! We had a lovely morning but since it has gotten overcast, and very chilly. We just had a fast and furious snow squall... it was twirling around everywhere. Lasted about 10 minutes and stopped. CRAZY WEATHER!

Hi.... so glad to see you post again . I was worried to about that cat. Good luck getting it. I still see that dog around my property... I want a 22 riffle, a pellet gun for the squirrels and bunnies and maybe later a shotgun for salt shot... just in case the coyotes come onto the property. Congrats on the hatch. What kind were these two? Sorry I forgot...
I hope Red is doing OK with his growing stuff... I still think about Lemon...

They are suppose to be cuckoo marans.

Me too,, she was such a pretty girl! I saw that he posted in a thread that on his close circuit camera he caught a hawk trying to attack his birds and was in the process of stringing some wire across the top of his run. Thankfully his dog ran after it, and the hawk flew away. I have started seeing way too many hawks for my liking. Spring means baby foxes too, I am worried for the flock.

Have you caught up since your cruise? I have thought about getting those guns that spray the streamers that are biodegradable, but also have one mare that might flip if she sees that.. I have had 2 visits recently from a hunting dog, who is now bringing a friend along with them. I've been leaving Jackson outside whenever the girls free range, but I think a female is in heat around me, as he has been dissapearing a bit, which is something I am going to have to address.....

Mel
Then there's my neighbor who had a Great Pryenees Dog who runs as she wishes. Then Dec. 31 of year before last, another GPD showed up and he fed her. He doesn't claim her but he feeds her and she's stuck around. Both very sweet dogs. A couple months ago a male dog, white but not full GPD shows up and Dog #2 is pregnant. Dog #2 has 10 puppies. Dog #3 doesn't leave so now he's got 13 dogs. I am extremely worried about those puppies in a week or so starting to run the neighborhood. How come chicken doesn't become their favorite food? No fence would contain those dogs. So far looks like 5 are taken by neighbors, friends and acquaintances.

The ship 'Inspiration'

La Bufadora. A natural blow hole.

Oh my were these good. Talk about fresh food...

Pulling out of Ensanada harbor. It was over cast most of the day but this was an amazing view as we left.

I tried to be good and walk the track. I only gained 1 lbs from this trip. If I had only walked more...

Or day at sea was mostly over cast as well. But the sun came out in the afternoon. It was still beautiful..

In port in Long Beach. We had breakfast on deck as we waited out turn to dis-embark.
It took me a good 3 or 4 days to get back to normal... I guess not that good about sailing. If I do it again then I will have to plan recovery time. I am lucky I was on Spring Break from work and I could take it easy. But it was lovely and I might think about it... I would love to see Alaska.

Beautiful pictures Cat! That is neat they have a track for excersice. I would like that. Only 1 lb is great! I have soooooo far to go to lose these winter lbs....

Then there's my neighbor who had a Great Pryenees Dog who runs as she wishes. Then Dec. 31 of year before last, another GPD showed up and he fed her. He doesn't claim her but he feeds her and she's stuck around. Both very sweet dogs. A couple months ago a male dog, white but not full GPD shows up and Dog #2 is pregnant. Dog #2 has 10 puppies. Dog #3 doesn't leave so now he's got 13 dogs. I am extremely worried about those puppies in a week or so starting to run the neighborhood. How come chicken doesn't become their favorite food? No fence would contain those dogs. So far looks like 5 are taken by neighbors, friends and acquaintances.
That would make me VERY worried... My neighbor who has that dog who got my birds.... Oh, he does not have a dog. They just all live there in his back yard... For animals that can be frightened... the shotgun with salt. Salt shot ... from what I heard, will not kill but sting enough that who ever I hit will not come back. But THE dog... I do want a riffle. She has gotten birds from a lot of people. I have seen a different neighbor walking around with a pellet gun... We all know who she is... One of us will get her.
Good luck with your dog issue... I hope it does not go that far. Did you complain to Animal Control? I borrowed traps and they picked up the dogs. Just make sure it is out of sight so that someone else does not come onto your property and set it free... or steal the traps.

Beautiful pictures Cat! That is neat they have a track for excersice. I would like that. Only 1 lb is great! I have soooooo far to go to lose these winter lbs....
Thanks... I am glad it was only a pound. I have so much to take off. I gained about 20 since this time last year. I am just so tired. All the work around the property. I guess you would call that strength training and I do not need to do more weight training or only a little of it. But I need cardio. I have a treadmill... but who wants to do that after all day of work? I will do it though. I hate this extra weight. After that 20... I still have more to go. I have to keep in mind that there are a LOT of diabetics in my family. I have good sugar level but my triglycerides are not good.
But on the bright side of it all... They way that there is sooooo many good things to eat on a ship... I am so lucky that I only gained 1 pound from the trip. I call that a big Win...

That would make me VERY worried... My neighbor who has that dog who got my birds.... Oh, he does not have a dog. They just all live there in his back yard... For animals that can be frightened... the shotgun with salt. Salt shot ... from what I heard, will not kill but sting enough that who ever I hit will not come back. But THE dog... I do want a riffle. She has gotten birds from a lot of people. I have seen a different neighbor walking around with a pellet gun... We all know who she is... One of us will get her.
Good luck with your dog issue... I hope it does not go that far. Did you complain to Animal Control? I borrowed traps and they picked up the dogs. Just make sure it is out of sight so that someone else does not come onto your property and set it free... or steal the traps.
Animal Control? I live in the country. But worse, the owner is a friend, he just believes in letting dogs run free and he only claims one as his dog.

Last edited:
Hi all, good to hear from you USVI, we were a little worried about you and your girls . LOVE those chicken shoes, I got a great laugh. So, i was reading the posts about what to do with the hens when they stop laying. I think about that often, however, after my day today I think I'll be culling one of my barred rocks soon. As I suspected, my second barred rock has started pecking at everyone, however, my partridge, Liza, came to greet me tonight with a huge chunk of her back missing, bloody bald, etc. So, I quickly soaked it good with some Blue Kote and watched them foraging when I saw Clara, my former victim, being the bully. Seriously ya all, this is crazy. I quickly put Clara into a run and closed her in while I watched the others. No one else seemed to bother Liza. At first I couldn't decide who to sequester--- Clara or poor Liza. So, I ended up putting Clara in the barn. MB, you have barred rocks, do you have this problem??? Yes, they are nice to me, but I'd take my Partridge and my RIR over the barreds any day. So, not sure what I'll do but for sure, need to get Liza's back healed up. in the mean time, Clara is isolated----
he.gif
Any suggestions on what to cover Liza's back with? It's on the side of her tail, that famous spot.

Back
Top Bottom