Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
The calico cockerels I current have for sale:View attachment 1829807
First boy, "Mud".^
View attachment 1829814Second boy, "Victor". ^

Brothers from the same hatch and parents. Hatched and raised on island here on my farm in Puna.

Such handsome boys! Geez, I want another silkie so badly. I might be able to convince my hubby to get another but, we're on O'ahu. Would you be able to send them here?

Well, on Oahu, it is legal to own 3 chickens. There are a few Bills before City and County to up that to 7 as 3 chickens can't feed a 4 person family. Also, there are a lot of backyard chicken families in old Ewa Beach. I'm pretty sure Gentry and Ocean Pointe/Hoakalei have rules against it. We are so happy to not have an HOA. It was the #1 priority on our search list LOL.

We'll be moving to Oahu in a couple months and I'm trying to collect information now on the chicken rules. Do you happen to have any updates on this proposed county change?

We'll be moving to Oahu in a couple months and I'm trying to collect information now on the chicken rules. Do you happen to have any updates on this proposed county change?
I have not heard anything but I am on another island/county. Are you military, moving to Kailua area? Normal residential is 4 for Kauai... (I have 13 lol) we have so many wild chickens here no one is really counting so, unless you have stuffy neighbors you could probably go over the # no prob. My daughter had 9 in Kailua with no probs. I figure, be a good chicken parent, keep the smell and noise down as much as you can... and share when you can.
Well, Aloha! Good luck to you on your big move. Keep us posted :D

Last edited:
I think it's still at 3, no roosters. I have 7 (1 silkie, so is that 6.5? lol). I'm in Waianae though, no association, everyone has something they're not supposed to have. My neighbor has 4 roosters, no hens. The roosters are just pets though, she doesn't fight them. It will all depend on whether or not you move somewhere with an HOA and your neighbors. I know almost all the new developments specifically state that no poultry are allowed.

I have not heard anything but I am on another island/county. Are you military, moving to Kailua area? Normal residential is 4 for Kauai... (I have 13 lol) we have so many wild chickens here no one is really counting so, unless you have stuffy neighbors you could probably go over the # no prob. My daughter had 9 in Kalua with no probs. I figure, be a good chicken parent, keep the smell and noise down as much as you can... and share when you can.
Well, Aloha! Good luck to you on your big move. Keep us posted :D
Aloha and mahalo! Yes, the military is sending us (after ~18 years of begging :celebrate), but we will be in the middle. Somewhere around Wahiawa or Mililani. We're used to keeping chickens in a quiet neighborhood setting, and try really hard to be good neighbors so here's hoping it works out! I'll be sure share when we get the little cluckers.

I think it's still at 3, no roosters. I have 7 (1 silkie, so is that 6.5? lol). I'm in Waianae though, no association, everyone has something they're not supposed to have. My neighbor has 4 roosters, no hens. The roosters are just pets though, she doesn't fight them. It will all depend on whether or not you move somewhere with an HOA and your neighbors. I know almost all the new developments specifically state that no poultry are allowed.
Thank you! That's helpful. We're trying to find an accommodating property for both a couple bee hives and chickens.

If you're going to be near Schofield/Wheeler, Wahiawa would be your best bet. Unless you head down to Waialua or Haleiwa.
That's good to hear. I've been focusing my energy there for that reason, but every time I tell someone that, they insist I want to be in Mililani, even friends that are locals. I don't want to discount their input, but we all prefer different things and Wahiawa seems like it will better suit our needs.

That's good to hear. I've been focusing my energy there for that reason, but every time I tell someone that, they insist I want to be in Mililani, even friends that are locals. I don't want to discount their input, but we all prefer different things and Wahiawa seems like it will better suit our needs.

You're probably going to want to look for something in the Heights then or, just outside Wahiawa. There's more space in the Heights.

Back
Top Bottom