Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Hello everyone! I'm from...Nevada.
I know, I know, I strayed a long way from the Nevada thread. (I'm sorry!)
I was hoping I could speak to someone who is familiar with the wild chickens of Hawaii. I recently heard in passing that there are wild chickens that roam the islands out there. Any takers? It would be for an article in a magazine.
TIA!

If you're still looking/writing, feel free to reach out. Aloha.

Looking to possibly rehome some mixed breed silkies on oahu. If anyone's interested please let me know. I have 4 total I need to let go of. 3 have silkie feathers, one does not but is from a silkie mother and a smooth feathered father with silkie genes

One buff silkie rooster, one black smooth silkie, and two buff silkie hens
20190827_163130.jpg
20190827_163215.jpg
20190827_163332.jpg
20190827_163352.jpg

That's good to hear. I've been focusing my energy there for that reason, but every time I tell someone that, they insist I want to be in Mililani, even friends that are locals. I don't want to discount their input, but we all prefer different things and Wahiawa seems like it will better suit our needs.

I 100% back not living in mililani. It's fine and all but they're not very chicken friendly at all. We live in wahiawa. Probably heights or Whitmore would be your best bet. We live in the latter and own 20 chickens without any issues. However, pretty much every house here has rooster (and they do fight them) so it's an extremely noisy area. I try to keep my crowing rooster quiet but even if he was loud no one would notice. Also... I don't fight any roosters.. just wanted to throw that out there since I mentioned neighbors fighting roosters. I've grown up in this house and as much as I don't like it there's not much we can do about it either at this point. Cops have been called and nothing ever sticks because they can't catch them in the act.

I also have 2 chicks that look to me like old english bantams. They were orphaned and my silkie hen took to them instantly almost but and while I plan to let her raise them I don't particularly want old english bantams, so if anyones interested they're probably going to be going sometime in the next couple months once they've been weaned off mama "bev"
20190831_063934.jpg
20190831_061913.jpg
20190831_202927.jpg

Hello! I'm from the Big Island.

Anyone have any luck with laced Wyandottes? I'd love to get one or two but I've read that they're bred for winter. I don't have chickens yet, but plan to get a Golden Sex Link, an Australorp, and Wyandottes.

I have done plenty of research but information feels very limited on the intense humidity of the tropics! Any advice for a first-time chicken owner in Hawaii? :jumpy

I haven't had Wyandottes but, I do have Orpingtons and an Australorp. I can tell when the heat is affecting them. I'll fill up an old plastic bin with water so that they can use it as a pool, provide lots of shade and hydrating treats like watermelon, cucumbers or grapes. If you're interested in Welsummers, mine seems to do quite well with the heat. Even my Faverolle does better than the Orpington and Australorp. I'm not sure why she does better since she seems to have much more feathers than the other two. I live on the hot side of O'ahu, in Wai'anae.

Hello! I'm from the Big Island.

Anyone have any luck with laced Wyandottes? I'd love to get one or two but I've read that they're bred for winter. I don't have chickens yet, but plan to get a Golden Sex Link, an Australorp, and Wyandottes.

I have done plenty of research but information feels very limited on the intense humidity of the tropics! Any advice for a first-time chicken owner in Hawaii? :jumpy

Aloha from windward Oahu! I have a Buff Orpington & Black Astrolorp- 2 months old and I have a Wyandotte that’s little over a month old.

Attachments

• 5C883EC1-B86D-4865-BA72-CCA35C2CE80A.jpeg
    5C883EC1-B86D-4865-BA72-CCA35C2CE80A.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 8
  • F5904EA0-E0CF-496F-B93F-C42DB30B1CE8.jpeg
    F5904EA0-E0CF-496F-B93F-C42DB30B1CE8.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 97BB05E1-47CB-43A5-98DD-74597E593E57.jpeg
    97BB05E1-47CB-43A5-98DD-74597E593E57.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom