Any recommendations on best colors to breed to with my 6 Peafowl?

Hi All, It's definitely Mating season here in FL! I have 1 IB, 1 Purple & 1 white that are cocks. My hens are IB Pied, Violeta Pied and Black shoulder IB. Could you give me any recommendations on who to breed to who and why?
I Also, have a yearling Violeta pied but I'm not sure if it is hen or a cock. I was thinking it was a hen but not sure. What are your thoughts?
IMG-7482.jpg
IMG-7484.jpg
IMG-7485.jpg
IMG-7487.jpg
IMG-7488.jpg
IMG-7489.jpg
IMG-7490.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-7494.jpg
    IMG-7494.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-7492.jpg
    IMG-7492.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-7493.jpg
    IMG-7493.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-7495.jpg
    IMG-7495.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-7496.jpg
    IMG-7496.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi All, It's definitely Mating season here in FL! I have 1 IB, 1 Purple & 1 white that are cocks. My hens are IB Pied, Violeta Pied and Black shoulder IB. Could you give me any recommendations on who to breed to who and why?
Do you know what if any splits are involved in the cocks? I'd put the Pied hens under the White and the IBBS hen under the IB cock. Next year you will have a nice trio of Violets and put the IB hen under the White next year. Put the white genes together this year and the Violets together next year. Next year put the IB and IB Pied hen under the White cock. Turn the IB cock out to free range. I would want to know what splits are under that White cock, he may be carrying a color or pattern.

Thank you so MUCH! So the breeder that sold me the White and purple are supposed to be full white and full Purple from what she said. The Indian Blue was actually Wild he lost his mom when he was young and she was indian blue.

Do you know what if any splits are involved in the cocks? I'd put the Pied hens under the White and the IBBS hen under the IB cock. Next year you will have a nice trio of Violets and put the IB hen under the White next year. Put the white genes together this year and the Violets together next year. Next year put the IB and IB Pied hen under the White cock. Turn the IB cock out to free range. I would want to know what splits are under that White cock, he may be carrying a color or pattern.
Would you put the purple male with any of them or should I get another hen for him? Or could I breed him with the Vlioleta and what would come of that? If she is a she the one in the picture attached to this thread.

Ohhhh! Cool! What would you breed her to to create nice birds eventually? And sorry for my ignorance but how can you tell? You are literally my idol!
Well, your 'idol' had a brain fart during his reply so I will fix it now. My brain, what is left of it, turned your Purple cock into a Violet cock so disregard the statement about having a Violet trio next year.

Put your IB cock to the side and breed the other two cocks. Put the IBBS hen under the Purple cock, that will make Purple hens and split to Purple cock chicks. It will also tell you if the cock is split to BS if they produce any BS chicks.

Put the Violet Pied hen and the IB Pied hen under the White cock. The Violet Pied will make both Pied and White chicks, the cock chicks will be split to Violet, the hen chicks will only be either White or Pied. The IB Pied hen will produce both Pied and White chicks in both sexes.

The yearling Violet Pied hen is showing a little Spalding that can be seen in the eye-liner and the barring on the tail. I suggest you find a Violet cock that carries a White gene for both of the Violet hens next year.

It is very rare that any pea is a 'pure' anything. White is called the great eraser because you can not see what colors or patterns lay beneath the white. For example, I am using a White Violet BS cock this year over Violet BS/Pied and Spalding Violet split BS. He looks like a plain white bird but I know that his parents were VBS/Pied and his momma was Violet BS/Pied so he has two white genes that makes him White and both parents are BS so he is also BS. Both parents are split to Pied so there is that possibility too. Good recordkeeping is a must if you are going to breed and raise peafowl.

Peas can go many generations before something unexpected pops up.

Well, your 'idol' had a brain fart during his reply so I will fix it now. My brain, what is left of it, turned your Purple cock into a Violet cock so disregard the statement about having a Violet trio next year.

Put your IB cock to the side and breed the other two cocks. Put the IBBS hen under the Purple cock, that will make Purple hens and split to Purple cock chicks. It will also tell you if the cock is split to BS if they produce any BS chicks.

Put the Violet Pied hen and the IB Pied hen under the White cock. The Violet Pied will make both Pied and White chicks, the cock chicks will be split to Violet, the hen chicks will only be either White or Pied. The IB Pied hen will produce both Pied and White chicks in both sexes.

The yearling Violet Pied hen is showing a little Spalding that can be seen in the eye-liner and the barring on the tail. I suggest you find a Violet cock that carries a White gene for both of the Violet hens next year.

It is very rare that any pea is a 'pure' anything. White is called the great eraser because you can not see what colors or patterns lay beneath the white. For example, I am using a White Violet BS cock this year over Violet BS/Pied and Spalding Violet split BS. He looks like a plain white bird but I know that his parents were VBS/Pied and his momma was Violet BS/Pied so he has two white genes that makes him White and both parents are BS so he is also BS. Both parents are split to Pied so there is that possibility too. Good recordkeeping is a must if you are going to breed and raise peafowl.

Peas can go many generations before something unexpected pops up.
Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom