Any Sweeter Heater users?

Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 24, 2015
Somewhere in MS
I found a really good deal on an 11"x16" 50W Sweeter Heater (OH1116, max 32-35 chicks) for $96.06, shipping included. I know it won't throw heat over a large area like a 250W infrared bulb, but frankly, infrared bulbs scare the crap out of me. My brooder will be set up in my basement, directly below my bedroom, and I felt that paying more for something that isn't likely going to burn my house down is well worth the extra cost. I also like the 3 year warranty. I also like the fact that it'll cover more chicks than the Brinsea Eco 20, for around the same price. My draft-free basement tends to hold fairly steady temps, and right now, it's in the mid 60's (F), so it looks to be an ideal location for a brooder. But on to my questions... are any of you using the Sweeter Heater(s), and how do you like it/them? Any recommendations for using them, or should I simply follow the mfg's suggestions?

I haven't used a sweeter heater, but I know there are at least a couple people here on the forums that use them.

If you're looking for a heat plate brooder but are turned off by the price on the Brinsea, you could always get these:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=135875&species_id=ALL&criteria=heat+plate

The pricing is much more reasonable.
Thanks for the reply, Pyxis. Not sure why I didn't mention that I had already purchased the SH, but it's on it's way... due to arrive Wednesday. Was just wanting some input from owners about their experiences with this heater.

I read all the reviews of the heat plates at Premier 1, and it looks to be a viable option for the future. I wish they told about the warranty, because the prices look pretty darn good. I've saved it to my favorites, and will continue researching it until I find out about the long-term usefulness of these units. Thanks again!!!

I know @The Sheriff had one at one point - not sure if she still does but you could pm her or ask in her chat thread Stella's Social Club if you don't end up getting any replies here :) I hope yours works out for you!

After 4 days, and 15 chick's approval, I must say I'm very impressed with this heater. I like how calm the chicks are when they're under it. I think being able to make contact with the warm surface, and getting shade from the brooder's light is a little more natural than a glaring heat lamp. I barely hear a peep out of them, and when I do, it's usually when they get spooked and are running to get back under the heater. For some reason, I thought chicks were supposed to be much louder than mine... lol! If I ever have the need for more brooder heat, I'll definitely be getting another Sweeter Heater.

I have recently purchased a Sweeter Heater in prep for chicks in a few weeks. I've had mine plugged in for4-5 days now and while I'm sure the heat is fine, there is a strong plastic/epoxy smell which concerns me. I can smell it in the brooder if the air has been still but always when I put my nose to the heater which is where the chicks will be. I have contacted the manufacturer and they insist this will dissipate but I'm not convinced. I have a tradition lamp on standby and will be returning my heater tomorrow if the smell is still present.

Anyone else notice this? Such a let down as it seem like a great product. I haven't seen a Brinsea in person so no idea if they have a similar problem - anyone with experience with that product??

Thanks

I have recently purchased a Sweeter Heater in prep for chicks in a few weeks. I've had mine plugged in for4-5 days now and while I'm sure the heat is fine, there is a strong plastic/epoxy smell which concerns me. I can smell it in the brooder if the air has been still but always when I put my nose to the heater which is where the chicks will be. I have contacted the manufacturer and they insist this will dissipate but I'm not convinced. I have a tradition lamp on standby and will be returning my heater tomorrow if the smell is still present.

Anyone else notice this? Such a let down as it seem like a great product. I haven't seen a Brinsea in person so no idea if they have a similar problem - anyone with experience with that product??

Thanks
Yes, it will have a strong odor when you first start using it... but it WILL go away. I let mine run for a couple of weeks before using it... to dissipate the odor. It got to the point I was having to put my nose to it to smell any odor. I've brooded two batches of chicks under mine, and believe me when I say I won't be without one. In fact, I need to get another large one (or two)...

Thanks

Yes, just got mine and we've been running it since Wednesday continuously and it still smells. To think anyone would put this over their chicks is beyond belief. Feel sorry for the chicks. It's so bad I'd think it'd def hurt their lungs. I bought it for adding some safe warmth to the coop. I know it's 'radiant' but it does not do anything to the ambient temperature. Chickens would have to be right next to it, and my goodness I wouldn't want them right next to it smelling this smell. I have a Brinsea, but it's very small and of no use to add heat, but it didn't have this smell at all. Totally different products though, same concept, just built differently. This sweeter heater is a nice concept, but what I think this is, is like the Radiant Floor heating with a piece of linoleum over it. But it smells terrible, like VOC of some kind. They should dissipate the smell for you if it ever even goes away. I actually doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom