Anybody Else have Monogamous Rooster?

Blackfanglucky13

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2019
Hello everybody. This isn't a question so much as a weird thing I noticed. I've had quail for a little under two years and I've had 3 roosters, Blue (Falb fee), Pip (Tibetan) and Chip (son of Pip, also Tibetan). Blue mated with everything indiscriminately but always hung out with my Falb fee hen and pearl hens. I lost half my flock to a snake attack, leaving 4 of my original flock and one of their four chicks that I had recently hatched. A few days later I noticed that I was still getting fertilized eggs and discovered that Pip was a rooster. Pip had three more chicks with my Tibetan hen (though I think one could be my Scarlet's). Pip never mated with my pearl hen. I don't know if it was because she was part of Blu's clique or if he was loyal to my Tibetan hen. My scarlet hung around him a lot, but her eggs were never fertile on a regular basis until my Tibetan hen died last winter.

When I incubated the new chicks, the three of them all came out Tibetan and one was a roo. Like Pip, chip never crowed or acted like a rooster, I never would have known unless I saw the other two lay eggs. Only one of them were fertilized though. Like his father, this guy stuck to one hen the moment he hatched and hasn't touched another girl. I have six quail, and only two of the girls are showing sides of breeding. I don't want to hatch anymore since everyone, but my Scarlet is one of Pips kids. I was just wondering if anybody else has a low key, monogamous roo. I want to keep Pip's line going since all of his kids are laid back and friendly but the only bird that his son shows any interest in is his sister.

Back
Top Bottom