Anybody good at identifyling birds of prey? Pic included.

that is definitely a Cooper hawk which is still listed under vulnerable species both in the US and canada. We have several of them hanging around my place. they sit and watch but I have never had any issues with them, they swoop down and eat moles and mice and if they are lucky enough they will catch the chipmunks too around my place. I got one that lands on the kids play cabin out front and watches the blue jays and Whiskey Jacks under my tree as they eat the bird seed, though if he/she moves the birds quickly take cover inside my thick Russian pea bushes. my run is covered so they cannot get in.

I also have a large barn owl that sits on top of my house every single night...rodent control, I really don't mind it, lol.

Last edited:
Its definately not a kestral, we have alot around here and she is quite a bit bigger than a kestrel. ( I caught a Kestrel once with my barehands...but thats another story).

She is somewhere inbetween a kestral and a red tailed hawk size wise(2 most common birds of prey around here).

Thanks for the compliments on the photo...She made it easy for me, landing so close. I locked the birds back up after I snapped the shot, so hopefully their safe. But I do appreciate her beauty!

An immature coopers hawk, they have a longitudinal striped pattern until their adult colors come in. The tail is rounded and has the pattern across it. The immature Goshawk has a zig -zag pattern across theirs. The Sharp-Shinned has a squarish tail even when young. Definitely a Coopers. Range is Canada.
thumbsup.gif
Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom