Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

Chickens can have issues with frostbite in the winter when they are exposed to very cold and humid temps for a prolonged period of time however eating frozen fruit during the hot summer months just keeps them cool. Think of it as how you would feel ... in the winter the cold weather could give you frostbite if you were not properly clothed and on a hot day cold/frozen fruit would be very refreshing and help you stay cool. Chickens are the same in that regard, in fact chickens are generally more susceptible to heat then they are cold temps so its even more important to keep them cool when its hot out.

I dialogued with a Texas breeder of several breeds of chickens who said he believes that the size of a chicken's comb has less to do with heat tolerance than the weight of the bird. He experiences temperatures as high as 112 and says his big heavier breeds perish more than his smaller lighterweight breeds regardless of their comb sizes. Comb sizes have more to do with whether they get frostbite during colder, damp weather so obviously the larger floppy combs will not do well in colder climates.

I personally have experienced that the fluffier and thicker the undercoat of a normal-sized or dual-purpose breed, the less tolerant they are of the heat - for instance, breeds like Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Orps, and Hedemoras fall into that category. Our fluffy Ameraucana (my avatar) pants and finds damp soil during heatwaves to sit in while my smaller Silkies are panting but still busy foraging in the heatwave - the Silkies have a walnut comb and the Ameraucana has a pea comb so a smaller comb makes no difference in a heatwave. My Silkies are only 2.4 lbs and the Ameraucana is 5 lbs - the littler fluffy Silkie hens toodle around while the heavily underdowned, bearded, muffed, larger Ameraucana is immobile in a heatwave - she has more body mass and a lot of thick warm underdown that makes her less heat tolerant. We had Leghorns that did well during heatwaves because they had practically no underdown beneath their hard feathers - they didn't have big fluffy butts or petticoats over their long slender legs to trap body heat. They weren't comfortable in the heat but they still remained active.

Apparently pea, rose, and walnut combs have been designed to keep away frostbite rather than designing large combs as heat regulators as previously believed. On our vet's advice - to avoid frostbite on our Leghorns' combs/wattles we used Vitamin E oil in a bottle from Walmart (way less greasy/staining than Vaseline) which is also a beneficial vitamin for skin. We even applied the oil to their legs/feet/toenails/beaks and let the vitamin absorb overnight and there were no stained feathers on the chickens in the morning. Vaseline greases up the feathers so that dust bath soil clings and stains the feathers for weeks whereas the Vit E oil absorbs overnight and doesn't stain the feathers.

A big jumbo marshmellow. Tonight on AFV they had a video where somebody had tossed one into the chicken run there and the mix flock there was having a merry game of "I got it!" with it.

Great thread!

We usually let our chickens free range, so they find their own entertainment, but there are times when they can't leave the run, so this is great!

My idea is to get a kite w a picture of a hawk on it and fly it really low over them a couple times a day .. . Ha ha ha

lau.gif
Yes, that will keep the chickens "entertained."

I don't have to do the kite thing; I had a real family of hawks nesting in a tree close to my yard this past summer! Sometimes as many as four hawks would circle above my backyard! Twice I saw a hawk perched low in our yard - on a branch or on the telephone wire - eyeing my chickens. FORTUNATELY, I put bird netting over my entire run earlier this year. The hawks didn't get in - but the chickens did learn to dive into the coop or under overhanging pens / shelves for cover whenever they saw them or when blue jays would call a warning. Or even if the blue jays just called among each other. My chickens learned to take a blue jay call as a warning. Perhaps I can learn to imitate a blue jay and watch my birds run. That won't entertain them - but it will entertain me
wink.png

Our version of a "chicken swing."

I have several old Oleander plants in my chicken yard. No, the chickens don't have any problem with the flowers. Been living in the yard for 15 years now.

Anyway, you will see several horizontal branches and the girls LOVE to jump up into the bush and bounce around. Sometimes two or three at a time will play. Got this one pic of Cash "roosting" on a branch, checking out the action below.

They love playing in it.

"Entertained....." Other words come to mind here in a closed barn in the winter during the middle of a blizzard with drifts of 5 feet surrounding the barn. Amused....busy....interested.....safe.....
I use the wire square for suet and put cabbage/lettuce/kale leaves into it and hang it over a 1/2 door. It can move left to right but not swing back and forth very much. I find this to be safer for all the birds, as I had one clonked and hurt from the device hung loose in the middle of the walkway. I also cook up oatmeal and add molasses to it and after it has cooled I top it off with sunflower seeds and meal worms. I put it into a small toaster oven tray with sides and the birds love to surround it.
Marshmallows (stale ones in particular) seem to keep them moving as when one grabs it and runs away, many follow.
I also have a round yellow ball I purchased from TSC and I fill it with cracked corn. As it is rolled about, it releases bits of the corn for their enjoyment.
A 2 foot feed bowl from old tires filled with sand and DE with a few old leaves I've kept from fall makes a great dust bath for them to enjoy, and if you have some who are reluctant to hop it, a bit of cracked corn or sunflower seeds to hop get them the idea to go into it, and once there, they find bathing can be fun!

"Entertained....." Other words come to mind here in a closed barn in the winter during the middle of a blizzard with drifts of 5 feet surrounding the barn. Amused....busy....interested.....safe.....   
I use the wire square for suet and put cabbage/lettuce/kale leaves into it and hang it over a 1/2 door.  It can move left to right but not swing back and forth very much.  I find this to be safer for all the birds, as I had one clonked and hurt from the device hung loose in the middle of the walkway.  I also cook up oatmeal and add molasses to it and after it has cooled I top it off with sunflower seeds and meal worms.  I put it into a small toaster oven tray with sides and the birds love to surround it.
Marshmallows (stale ones in particular) seem to keep them moving as when one grabs it and runs away, many follow.
I also have a round yellow ball I purchased from TSC and I fill it with cracked corn.  As it is rolled about, it releases bits of the corn for their enjoyment.
A 2 foot feed bowl from old tires filled with sand and DE  with a few old leaves I've kept from fall makes a great dust bath for them to enjoy, and if you have some who are reluctant to hop it, a bit of cracked corn or sunflower seeds to hop get them the idea to go into it, and once there, they find bathing can be fun!

Cool ideas... I'll adopt a few myself...

I do the spaghetti thing because it cracks me up to watch them chase each other around. We also get one of those shipped in fruitcakes every year but we don't like them so I string it up and they go right at it. They love it.

One of my previous homes had a large hill in the backyard. I used to let the girls out of their run, and then toss grapes up said hill. They would all chase it up... and then come galloping after it as it came rolling back down. Exercise and entertainment at the same time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom