Anymore People from Delaware?

welp, i know this is an old post, but worth a shot... i'm in DE! smack dab in the middle =) any of u folks still alive on the board??
caf.gif

I'm from Dover, and just joined the site. I'm trying to find more info on our backyard flock laws. If anyone has any state links that would be much appreciated :)

Hey Tara, welcome to BYC. I'm in Sussex County but if you're in Dover you might want to check city zoning laws or Kent County zoning laws to determine if it's legal to have a backyard flock in your location. You can access those laws online or contact the appropriate planning and zoning office. I would suggest making any contact via email, that way you have a written response that you can save. I know folks who have called their local zoning office and have been told that keeping chickens was legal in their neighborhood and then after they built/bought their coop, run, chickens etc. the zoning inspector comes by and tells them that they have to get rid of them.The state requires everyone to register your location and number of chickens, you can get more info about that as well as a form at your local feed store. They do that because of all the broilers raised in Delaware, they want to be able to contact all chicken keepers if there is some disease outbreak. I hope this info is helpful and enjoy BYC. Lots of great info and people on here.

Kevin

So I know they are hard to find, but does anyone know anyone that breeds and sells DE Blue Hens? I have been looking for them and can't seem to find any.

Hey Tara,

Welcome to BYC. I don't know your location, but if you're in or near Delaware you may be able to acquire some Blue Hens from the University of Delaware. The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources keeps a breeding flock on the campus farm. I have friends who have gotten Blue Hens from them in the past free of charge. It's certainly worth a phone call. Good luck !!

Hey Tara, 

Welcome to BYC. I don't know your location, but if you're in or near Delaware you may be able to acquire some Blue Hens from the University of Delaware. The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources keeps a breeding flock on the campus farm. I have friends who have gotten Blue Hens from them in the past free of charge. It's certainly worth a phone call. Good luck !!

That's an awesome suggestion, thank you!

So does anyone have any silkies or know someone who does have silkies? I checked DE Craigslist but the selection is horrible and I went to Dill's Auction but I'm definitely not impressed and some of the birds were dead in cages :( So I'm trying to find local breeders for my needs, as I tried fertile eggs off eBay and only have 2 of 8 that seem to be doing anything at all. I still haven't had any luck with Blue Hens either and UofD never got back to me after my 6th attempt. I'm going to try and make it to the Smyrna Swap Meet, but that may not be in the cards sadly.

Back
Top Bottom