Anyone breeding Wybars in the US

~~Yes and seeing some great success so far.

Silver Wybar Hen barred and what appears to be good lacing at this age.

Gold Wybar pullet again barred with good gold lacing.

These pullets were the best two out of 300+ hatchings with a handful of others that are usable in the next phase but will require more hatchings than these 2 pullets. Eggs from these two should provide some double barred males. I am anxious to see their adult plumage and type, because most of the pictures I see of the UK birds appear to be very washed out, possibly incomplete laced birds similar to the one in the very top of the picture of the silver.

This was our second year working on this project and of the 300 eggs we incubated only maybe 7 birds are keepers and the silver above she was a broody hatch.

Thanks for the feedback, we have anxiously wanted to share our progress, but wanted to make sure the proper genes we were looking for were evident. The next crossing should produce some autosexed chicks with a few non autosexing. The Single barred males and the females should look identical, but the double barred males will hopefully stick out with their pale chick down.

Last edited:
Well....looks like I have a new project..... crele wyandotte roo is coming to my place soon. He was chipmunk striped as a chick and barred, he said he was a darker roo..... probably single barred. Fingers crossed he is double barred
fl.gif

Now where am I going to put the new project........

So i have a question about getting STARTED with this as a project. From what I can tell, short of miraculously finding a barred wyandotte roo, I could start with a barred sex-link wyandotte cross roo and work my way from there, correct?

I'm wondering if it would be better to start with a dominique or a barred rock to get the barred roo. I know neither of them have a type too similar to a wyandotte, but start with a dominique would give me the rosecomb.

If you don't want to share your ideas on here for all to read I would be really grateful for a pm or something. This is a project that I believe I'd like to start this year if I can get the stock I want....

Sounds like you have the right idea. I used the barred rock as I had them available and I knew they were excellent layers. Using a Dominique would allow ease with not having to work out the rose comb. I had also heard people complain of sterility issues with rose combs so I figured I would use the R/r to my advantage through the 2nd back cross stage as lots of chicks were needed.

Sounds like you have the right idea. I used the barred rock as I had them available and I knew they were excellent layers. Using a Dominique would allow ease with not having to work out the rose comb. I had also heard people complain of sterility issues with rose combs so I figured I would use the R/r to my advantage through the 2nd back cross stage as lots of chicks were needed.

I have never heard of fertility issues in Dominiques..... just saying.....

Agreed and to be honest I have heard many conflicting reports in general about rose combs. At the time it was what I was hearing and I did not look into it.

Oh well that that will be easy! I have a pretty decent type blue wyandotte roo, and some barred rock pullets in with him, so I'll just keep one of the black barred cockerels when i hatch those. Now to find some nice SLW or GLW........mine are all hatchery stock. I *do* have a nice BLRW, but i started playing with that in the calculator and uhhhh......yeah. not going to wade into THAT mess.

Back
Top Bottom