Anyone care to educate me on chicken colors?

TheRusticRebel

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
I have several really pretty easter eggers. They are 4 years old. Im just curious what their coloring says about them. I dont know how to identify colors and patterns properly. I hear words like laced, splash, barred etc. . what would mine be ? And can anything from their coloring identify their parentage? 1.
20230406_181142.jpg
2. 20230406_181045.jpg
3. 20230406_181926.jpg
20230406_181236.jpg

Sorry these pics suck. I dont know why but they usually run to me when i come out there but the minute i pull my phone out they take off 😆 i have 3 others but i didnt get a non blurry pic of any of them.

I have several really pretty easter eggers. They are 4 years old. Im just curious what their coloring says about them. I dont know how to identify colors and patterns properly. I hear words like laced, splash, barred etc. . what would mine be ? And can anything from their coloring identify their parentage? 1.
View attachment 3458056
2.View attachment 3458059
3.View attachment 3458060
4.View attachment 3458062

Sorry these pics suck. I dont know why but they usually run to me when i come out there but the minute i pull my phone out they take off 😆 i have 3 others but i didnt get a non blurry pic of any of them.
Hello! Numbers 1 and 4 don't seem to have any specific patterns but their main color is lavender... #3 looks like some it has a bit of lacing on her, and #2 looks like she might be a splash. I'm not too keen on patterns though. Someone else might know a bit more than me! 😂 Easter Eggers are mixes originating from the Araucana breed. Araucanas come in many different colors so you can't really tell parentage by coloring in that breed or any related breeds. I hope I could help!

I have several really pretty easter eggers...can anything from their coloring identify their parentage?
Parentage is almost certainly Easter Egger father, Easter Egger mother, Easter Egger grandparents, and so forth, going back for quite a few generations.

Hatcheries have been breeding Easter Eggers for quite some years, focusing on flocks that lay blue or green eggs (at least mostly) but without trying to standardize any particular feather colors.

Parentage is almost certainly Easter Egger father, Easter Egger mother, Easter Egger grandparents, and so forth, going back for quite a few generations.

Hatcheries have been breeding Easter Eggers for quite some years, focusing on flocks that lay blue or green eggs (at least mostly) but without trying to standardize any particular feather colors.
Got it . so if an easter egger roo is born from a mom that lays blue eggs will he have the blue egg gene? Like if he is bread with another easter egger hen that lays blue will they be guaranteed to have blue laying progeny?

Hello! Numbers 1 and 4 don't seem to have any specific patterns but their main color is lavender... #3 looks like some it has a bit of lacing on her, and #2 looks like she might be a splash. I'm not too keen on patterns though. Someone else might know a bit more than me! 😂 Easter Eggers are mixes originating from the Araucana breed. Araucanas come in many different colors so you can't really tell parentage by coloring in that breed or any related breeds. I hope I could help!
Thanks!

Got it . so if an easter egger roo is born from a mom that lays blue eggs will he have the blue egg gene? Like if he is bread with another easter egger hen that lays blue will they be guaranteed to have blue laying progeny?

Um, close but not quite. There is a good chance that a hen who lays blue, and a rooster who hatched out of a blue egg, will produce chicks that lay blue eggs. But it is not guaranteed. The rate of not-blue daughters can be as low as zero or as high as 50% depending on exactly which genes are carried by each parent.

Each chicken has two genes for blue egg or not-blue egg. The blue egg gene is dominant. For a hen to lay blue eggs, she must have at least one copy of the blue egg gene. She might have a second copy of it, or she might have the not-blue gene. So her chicks might inherit the gene for blue eggs from her, or there is a chance they do not.

So a rooster hatched from a blue egg might inherit the blue gene from his mother, but if his mother had a not-blue gene there is a chance of him inheriting that instead. He also inherits something from his father, either blue or not-blue. So he could have two copies of the blue egg gene (and give one to each of his chicks), or one copy each of blue and not-blue (give one to half his chicks, the other to the other half of his chicks), or he might not have the blue egg gene at all (and cannot give it to his chicks.)

For each daughter, she will lay blue eggs if she inherits the blue egg gene from her mother or from her father or from both. If the mother has one gene for not-blue eggs, and if the father also has one or two genes for not-blue eggs, then there will be some chicks that only inherit genes for not-blue eggs. But with a blue-laying mother, at least half the chicks should inherit blue from her, so the not-blue chicks will be half or less of the total number of chicks.

(Note: not-blue eggs are white or brown. "Blue" eggs can actually look blue, or they can have a coating of brown that makes them look green. The brown coating is controlled by other genes that have no effect on whether there is a blue color.)

Y'all. I have tried to get pucs.of these birds. They are not fons of being photographed 😆. I went out to the coop this morning and tried to get pics of them before i let them out. I walked in and they are fine with me being in there. But once i pulled out my phone they got frantic. I dont know why ... Maybe because they arent used to seeing it?? I got a lot.of blurry pics and pics of tails. 😆
Heres 1 good one i got.

Attachments

• 20230408_091347.jpg
    20230408_091347.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom