Anyone else dealing with fly strike this summer?

does anyone know if mint attracts flies? I have heard that it repels and now I wonder if it would attract. I does have a sweet smell that the flies might like.
That i the only thing that I have done different this year. I have an herb garden in the backyard along with other gardens, well mint was one of my
new additions, or I should say new plants that I planted back there this year. the other annuals and herbs were there in previous years where fly strike
was not a problem. Just wondering, if anyone has an knowledge on the mint plant and flies that would be great. thanks.
Looks like it does when it blooms! Check google, here's one link. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1947122/does-mint-attract-flies-not-gnats Here's another link for fly repellent herbs since you have an herb garden. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/hgen/fly-repelling-herb-plants.htm

Wow poor birds but maggots are only supposed to eat dead dieing or necrotic flesh, thats why they used to use them in medicine to clean wounds they don't eat healthy tissue. Or they're not supposed to. Thank you for explaining. I hope I never see that and I hope your girls get better.

Maggots in a wound cause the meat to continue to decompose by secreting waste which causes the wound to continue to fester and become necrotic,

Maggots used to clean wounds are in a 'managed'' situation. Maggots in a wound on a chicken just keep burrowing deeper into the chicken. Unless they are discovered, removed and the wound is thoroughly cleaned, dressed and taken care of.

I have seen fly strike on a cat, a calf and several sheep. Left alone, maggots can and will kill the animal they are in/on.

Last edited:
Looks like it does when it blooms! Check google, here's one link. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1947122/does-mint-attract-flies-not-gnats Here's another link for fly repellent herbs since you have an herb garden. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/hgen/fly-repelling-herb-plants.htm

OK, now I am confused. One thread said that mint attracts flies. The other said it repealls flies. Not sure if I should pull up the mint or not. I have lavender, oregano, sage, and rosemary planted with the mint in my spice garden. Should I pull it up or not? Is the mint the cause for the increased fly population?

Dirty butts and wounds will attract flies. So will filthy living conditions. (Not saying you are not a good coop keeper). But manure and moisture will attract flies like a magnet. Make sure you keep all nasty feathers clipped.

Dirty butts and wounds will attract flies. So will filthy living conditions. (Not saying you are not a good coop keeper). But manure and moisture will attract flies like a magnet. Make sure you keep all nasty feathers clipped.

That may have actually been the problem. The hen that was the victim of the last fly strike had a dirty bumm. I bathed her once a week
and kept her fathers around her vent trimmed. I don't know why, but she out of all of them just had a dirty bumm. I feed them an healty
diet, they get fresh water, free range and eat all the bugs and so forth and she just had a dirty bumm. I did everything I could to keep
her clean and she still got it. I don't know why it was just her that has the dirty bumm. My rooster had a wound that I did not see
that the flies laid eggs in that developed his case of my strike. He is doing well and doing what a rooster does. I managed
to get them through it I just hope that Miss Bossy (the alpha hen, hence her name) makes it. She was fighting me this morning for
her vitamins that I put in her mouth and an inspection, so I think she is feeling much better. She wants to go out and play with her
flock but I just cannot let her yet, I will have to say that is a good sign.

OK, now I am confused. One thread said that mint attracts flies. The other said it repealls flies. Not sure if I should pull up the mint or not. I have lavender, oregano, sage, and rosemary planted with the mint in my spice garden. Should I pull it up or not? Is the mint the cause for the increased fly population?
Have you seen flies on the mint? Overwhelmingly, people are saying that the mint , "when it flowers" attracts gross amounts of flies. Basil and rosemary are working well for me. Possibly you could plant basil for your birds to hangout in, as rubbing on the broken leaves acts as a repellent.

My hen that I was isolating for recovery from fly strike is now wheezing. Does anyone know why this would happen? She was doing better yesterday after I cleaned the
maggots out of her and treated the wound. They wound looks much better today, she is eating and drinking just wheezing. I have never heard this before.
Any thoughts.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom