Anyone else excited about their garden?

We are in Michigan so nothing can go out till end of April to mid May. Heavy frost and all. I did not start anything from seed this year. I usually do but got busy with the planning for 1st chicks, so it will be a trip to the local greenhouse for us this year.
25 to 30 tomato plants
Romas
big boy
beef steak
early boys
we can all of our own juice and spaghetti sauce
to make the sauce we grow
green peppers
onions
basil
oregano
thymn
one garden will be all sweet corn this year we take that off the cob and freeze all the extra that the coons don't get into.
bi- color &
white
glads
sunflowers
green beans
cucs
broccoli for freezing
cauliflower for freezing
zuccinni
summer squash
pumpkins
watermelon
muskmelon
lettuce
the herb garden also has
sage
parsley
chives
rosemary
mint
It's a lot of work but me and my husband do it together and boy is it worth it when you can provide the whole dinner for the family with out buying anything except a loaf of bread from the store. Tomato sandwiches, sweet corn and all the fresh veggies you can eat. Next summer we can add BBQ chicken to that too.This is just our veggie gardens too. You should see all my flower beds. I love to garden.

i'm ALWAYS excited about my garden!
i was just telling dh that spring is my absolute favorite time of the year........babies popping all over the place and the earth is waking up from it's rest with new fresh green stuff where ever you look!
*sighs* life IS good.

we plan all heirlooms and/or open pollinated varieties of things and
so far our garden includes:

LOTS of tomatos (i'm a total tomato head)
LOTS of peppers (ditto as a pepper head)
lettuces (white cos, red romaine and a baby lettuce blend)
radishes (white icicle and watermelon)
cucumbers
squash (white scallop and zucchini)
bok choy
cabbage
collards
swiss chard
okra
beets for us
mangel beets for the chickens
sweet corn
bush beans (top crop)
pole beans (rattlesnake snap)
orange glo watermelon
assorted herbs
huckleberries

there's prolly more that i've forgotten and certainly others i'll pop in "to see how they do"

This year I'm planting

tomatoes
peppers
cabbage
brussel sprouts
broccoli
cauliflower
red lettuce
romaine lettuce
buttercrunch lettuce
rutabagas
garlic
lots of onions
peas
carrots
squash
cucumbers
green beans
pumpkins
radishes
probably more but I'm not sure what yet!

Oh, I'll probably plant some cheerios to see if I can get a donut tree to come up......
smile.png

I just ordered 100 strawberry plants (random choice from Gurneys, but that is o.k, will have a longer picking season I hope
love.gif
. . .40 asparagus, and 2 blueberries plus 4 rhubarb. . .should be here next week, and we can plant them I think without worry of frost. We have 26#'s of potatoes out and one long row of white and red onions. COME ON SPRING!! I have cantaloupe, honeydew, cardinal vine or cypress vine and moonflower germinating as we speak . . .wanted to do tomatoes, but didn't get them started in time. I probably still could, might give it a whirl. Need more jiffy pots!!! Our last frost date is april 15, so I still have a little time for them to get started.

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Yes, yes, yes!!

We have what we call a growing house in our garage. We have already started growing and have successfully transplanted to 2x2 peat pots the following.

50 Hybrid Broccoli
50 White cloud cauliflower
50 Falstaff Brussel sprouts
100 asst colored sweet peppers
50 asst hot peppers
10 tomatillas
200 tomatos - Golden Rave, Jellybeans, Roma, Chocolate Drops, Heirloom Zebra, Big Berthas, and Heirloom Yellow.

Than once the time is right we are doing sweet potatos, spinach, mixed greens, green beans, sugarsnap peas, cucumbers, zuchinni, melons, and wax beans.

Plus we planted grapes this past weekend, and are expecting 50 strawberry plants, 9 raspberries, and a Flat Wonderful Dwarf Peach tree.

My DH has an amazing green thumb, and I will be very busy canning this year!

I am SO SO SO excited!!! I love being outside, and seeing my seed sprouting!!!

We ALWAYS ALWAYS have corn... that grows so good.. Last year we tried a bunch of stuff, artichokes, peas, pumpkins, watermellon... But the dang chipmunks ate everything but the corn... Daggonnit... I have to figure out a way to keep those pesky things out....

Yes..Yes..Yes..my livingroom door is packed with seedlings in front of it
wee.gif
Ohhh..here we go
clap.gif
tomatoes: rutgers, roma, amish paste, aunt annas, illinois beauty, early girl, better boy, beefsteak, and ground cherries as well as peppers: green, banana, jalapeno, and golden treasure, then corn, green beans, peas, peanuts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, huckleberries, cabbage, artichokes, asparagus, rhubarb, hops, horseradish, onions, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, butternut squash, watermelon, cantalope, summer squash, zucchini, pumpkins, okra, beets, and many different herbs. Whew not to mention 6 grape vines, blackberry bushes, 25 strawberry plants, 7 fruit trees, walnut trees, and mulberry trees. I think that is it
idunno.gif
yes....Shew my word I have lots to do *mental notes....do, do, do

let see we started

giant pumpkins
watermelon
green beans
wax beans
tomatoes
potatoes
corn
lettace
cabbage
broccoli
carrots
onions
green onions
basil
cilantro
bell peppers red and green
jalepenos
cantalope
zuccinni
yellow squash
apple trees ( 6.5 ft tall)
guava trees ( 4 ft tall )
lemons tree ( 4 ft tall )

I dont even remember the rest !

Last edited:
Chillin' with my peeps, what do you think of the Amish paste, or is this the first time you have tried them? I want a really good paste/sauce tomato, and need some feedback from other gardeners. Roma just doesn't do it for me.
hu.gif

wee.gif
I am ready, but the weather is not. It will be a couple of more months up here, as some places are expecting 16+ inches of snow today
he.gif

Sometimes I hate zone 3, my bulbs are still in hiding because it is only 20 above
barnie.gif

Oh well, that is spring here!

Back
Top Bottom