Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

I considered a winter-layer-selection hatch because I do have enough hens laying to do it, but decided that I'm just not prepared to brood January chicks this year.

I had an early January hatch several years ago. I brood chicks in the house as I don't have electricity in my coop and nowhere else secure outside to brood chicks. Here, we don't even really start to get mild temperatures until March. March. As excited as I am for chicks, and as much as I love them when they are tiny, I will never incubator-hatch chicks this time of year again. :th

I had an early January hatch several years ago. I brood chicks in the house as I don't have electricity in my coop and nowhere else secure outside to brood chicks. Here, we don't even really start to get mild temperatures until March. March. As excited as I am for chicks, and as much as I love them when they are tiny, I will never incubator-hatch chicks this time of year again. :th
I gladly would if I wasn't bringing adult birds in this time of year.

Ugh, yeah, I have that going on as well! It's not nearly as cold here as what you're experiencing up there, I'm sure, but my Old English hens just can't take anything much colder than the teens. I just set up their inside pen earlier today. It's expected to plunge to sub-zero tonight so they'll have to come in. I'm planning on bringing my still half-naked silkied Cochin bantam hen, too. Just don't want to risk her in this cold. I'm really hoping my naked neck bantam does fine as I'm all tapped out on places to put chickens in here. :th

As much as i love lil chicks brooding and incubating here will just cause stress as seems everytime i do the power goes out. So not worth the stress for me this time of year

I considered a winter-layer-selection hatch because I do have enough hens laying to do it, but decided that I'm just not prepared to brood January chicks this year.
I brood in my coop but too nervous to do it in the winter and don't have the space in my house for chicks most of the winter. So I figure March we should have 40-60's so won't be too bad. Unlike winter when we have 0-30.

Hello hatching buddy! Are you doing to be hatching again in the spring? I am trying to figure out when I want to. So far each year I have had at least 1 that hasn't started laying before days go short from my mid April hatches. So was thinking maybe hatching for mid to late March in hopes they all start before days go shorter. LOL (this year it is my CCL that didn't and I was so sad since I wanted those pretty blue eggs so bad! LOL)

I had almost got a BCM last year but don't think they had them at the time I was getting my other chicks. I would consider it this year but I am ordering eggs from the same seller and she doesn't have either of those breeds. But my Olive egger lays a darker brown egg sure not as dark as a Marans for Welsummer but pretty dark. Which was a bit sad since I was so excited for Olive eggs. Thinking maybe a blue layer depending on what she has. I have an EE that lays extremely light blue eggs that they look almost white, then my other EE lays a teal color. My OE lays dark brown....... But I think 2 of my project Cochins should lay a shade of green/olive so that will be nice..... Then I have varying shades of "brown" from cream to pinkish tan, to med brown etc. LOL
Going to do a school hatch in May, and maybe some quail with the niece’s & nephews in June! (My aunt has quail & said she would take them all after). I can only add 5 or 6 more…and farm barns are full so I have to limit myself! 😊
You’ll have to show my your Cochin project eggs once they start laying!

The first cutie came tonight, fingers crossed for the rest 🤞
7D26D12F-815A-44AE-82F9-8EA28E46EE7E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom