Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

Pics

TheFugitivePen

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Eastern Tennessee
Is anyone else super excited for chick season? Any particular breeds you're hoping to purchase or hatch?

I have never been so excited for spring and summer in my life (I'm an autumn-loving kind of gal) PURELY because CHICKS!

We're first-time chicken owners (we have eight 7-month-olf Black Australorps we adore), and I cannot wait until it's chick season. Chicken math bit me HARD, and I convinced my husband to let me purchase just 3-4 chicks in the spring. EEEEEEE!!!!

I'm hoping to get Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex from Mt Healthy Hatchery. My husband would get more Australorps ("I'm an Australorp man" he says, having only owned that breed LOL), but he sees the value in experimenting with some other breeds ....... and also making his wife and son happy :D. I keep researching the breeds to occupy my brain until we can order them.

I can't wait to hear their little peeping noises again and have tiny fluffy butts running around! It might be the last batch of chicks we have for a while, so I want to savor it. Hurry up, spring!

Let me start with my poultry mantra: I don't need any more birds; I don't need any more birds.

Now, in reality, I am SO proud of myself for not getting any chicks last year that I am sure I will reward myself with a couple in the spring (after all, egg laying does drop off as the girls get older -- that's how I justify it to myself!).

Although I would like to add Dominiques or Cream Legbars, the reality is that I will go into the feed store, see someone adorable and bring them home. That's how I got my Easter Eggers -- I swear, both chicks were STARING at me from the brooders.

Hurry up, spring!

Omg yes, I can't wait. I have so many cool breeding project ideas. Some include breeding the chickens I already have and on top of that I plan on getting more silkie hatching eggs and possibly a couple partridge or isabel bantam brahma hatching eggs for my new breed project I will start in spring. I'm so excited!!

I usually spend my whole winter planning for chick season.
This is the first year I have my chickens with me in winter (I usually gave them to a friend over winter, but that always resulted in a few missing birds due to predators). I was so scared that they would freeze, but they've all been doing do well, I'm so proud of my babies.

Oh, yes, I have been excited for next spring since my last batch of babies moved out to the coop! 🤭 Next year I'll be hatching more than usual out of my silkied BBS Cochin bantams in the interest of growing out many individuals and picking the best to improve the line. I can't wait for my brooder to be full of those little tiny, fuzzy babies in their footsie pajamas. :love Definitely savor them while they're tiny--they grow entirely too fast!!

peeps in a row.jpg

Chicks... little peeping balls of fluff... :love

I really want more chicks. My girls will be 2 and 3 years old this spring/summer. I have come to dislike store bought eggs.

I need to work on DH to enlarge the coop first... Yeah, if I go by the standard of 4sf in the coop and 10 sf in the run suggestion, I have have room for 4 more birds as it is right now. But I want a bigger coop so that I can make it easier/better for everyone, me included.

But chicks... oh, my...

Back
Top Bottom