CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Once again, I have been affected by that terribly wonderous thing called chicken math. Here's how it's gone so far:

5 rescued BSL chicks -3 died in the night so I had 2 + 7 more chicks we bought a month later. Our total is (9) then + 4 more chicks 6mos later. New total (13). Lose -1 hen to sour crop, and we're down to (12). Plan on adding 4 more chicks this month and came home with + 8. Final total: 20.
Oh yes, I forgot to add the duck, goose, and quail. How did I get here? 😅😂

Anyway, meet the new members of the flock! I had been hoping for some marans, white leghorns and OEs, but the store didn't have any. (They're getting harder to find it seems.)
20230401_180317.jpg

Although not what I was originally hoping g for, we brought home another RIR, a Barred Rock, a Delaware, 2 Cream Legbars and 2 Silver Leghorns. We're very excited to see how these breeds turn out. Although I am a bit skeptical about our newest RIR (Rose); she's a lot lighter than our previous one was at that age.

What breeds did y'all add to your flock this year?

Same thing happened to us 4 hens with three chicks coming in the spring. Then a friend needed to re-home 10 chickens. We took them. We were maxed out so we decided to cancel the order. Fox comes and takes three we forgot to cancel the order oops. The chicks came today we got and extra yay.

Attachments

• B25502E8-601C-4620-983D-A8EDAD60784A.jpeg
    B25502E8-601C-4620-983D-A8EDAD60784A.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ED55F6F2-6483-48FD-A3B0-66F8A350ED1C.jpeg
    ED55F6F2-6483-48FD-A3B0-66F8A350ED1C.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 2
  • A65B26EE-AC81-485F-B04F-07B6D9FE096A.jpeg
    A65B26EE-AC81-485F-B04F-07B6D9FE096A.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 1
  • 481FC21A-0DFA-4A14-9AC1-DE768C2A0007.jpeg
    481FC21A-0DFA-4A14-9AC1-DE768C2A0007.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 2
Same thing happened to us 4 hens with three chicks coming in the spring. Then a friend needed to re-home 10 chickens. We took them. We were maxed out so we decided to cancel the order. Fox comes and takes three we forgot to cancel the order oops. The chicks came today we got and extra yay.
Aww!

Does anyone have experience with Silver Leghorns? I can't find much on them, but they look to be such beautiful birds!

My experience with chicken math.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-real-life-example-of-chicken-math.1527528/

It's now a year later. We still have 16 of our original laying hens (one died and 2 were rehomed) and my husband gave me an incubator for Christmas. Now we have 20 home hatched chicks, and I just finished processing 20 meat birds. I've learned my lesson though - don't name and try not to get attached to anything you don't plan to keep until the end of its natural life.

I just finished building a second coop for my hatched chicks and the hatchery chicks I've ordered this year so I can play with chicken genetics and breed some green and olive eggers. Chicken fun!!!

My experience with chicken math.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-real-life-example-of-chicken-math.1527528/

It's now a year later. We still have 16 of our original laying hens (one died and 2 were rehomed) and my husband gave me an incubator for Christmas. Now we have 20 home hatched chicks, and I just finished processing 20 meat birds. I've learned my lesson though - don't name and try not to get attached to anything you don't plan to keep until the end of its natural life.

I just finished building a second coop for my hatched chicks and the hatchery chicks I've ordered this year so I can play with chicken genetics and breed some green and olive eggers. Chicken fun!!!
Having chickens has made me thankful for being allergic to meat lol. I never need to worry about culling one for supper... I probably would be bawling out my eyes. The only problem is, Lord forbid I get any roosters, then what?😅

Having chickens has made me thankful for being allergic to meat lol. I never need to worry about culling one for supper... I probably would be bawling out my eyes. The only problem is, Lord forbid I get any roosters, then what?😅
Yea, roosters are a hard one! Luckily I haven't had to cull any animals I've gotten attached to yet, but that time will come I'm sure. My first flock of eggers and main rooster are the pets.

Don't hatch chicks if you don't have a solution to the roosters though - 12-15 of my 20 home hatched chicks are roosters (not sure on a couple yet). I'll try to find some of the nicer ones homes, but finding homes for 15 roosters that isn't in the cockfighting ring or the dinner table will probably not happen around where I live. I figure, at least 4-6 months of a pleasant life, a sudden, hopefully painless end, and a spot in my freezer is better than the cockfighting ring, being eaten by predators, or having never lived at all...

Yea, roosters are a hard one! Luckily I haven't had to cull any animals I've gotten attached to yet, but that time will come I'm sure. My first flock of eggers and main rooster are the pets.

Don't hatch chicks if you don't have a solution to the roosters though - 12-15 of my 20 home hatched chicks are roosters (not sure on a couple yet). I'll try to find some of the nicer ones homes, but finding homes for 15 roosters that isn't in the cockfighting ring or the dinner table will probably not happen around where I live. I figure, at least 4-6 months of a pleasant life, a sudden, hopefully painless end, and a spot in my freezer is better than the cockfighting ring, being eaten by predators, or having never lived at all...
That is true! I just doubt I'd have the courage to even try to cull. Only thing I haven't killed without sobbing is the rat that ate my button hen :'(

So far, the only eggs I've hatched out are my quail as the roos are a LOT easier to deal with/rehome where I live

Back
Top Bottom