Anyone else have picky eaters?

I really believe the only way to be sure they get a balanced diet is to keep before them at all times a commercially formulated pellet or crumble. If they can see individual components like corn, peas, wheat, etc., they will surely pick out what they like and leave the rest. The same way one of my kids picks peas out of a stew or pot pie and won't eat them, lol, and the other one picks olives and onions off a pizza (he now gets cheese only). The items you are feeding your chickens should only be offered as a treat, like cake and ice cream, not a steady diet, IMO, and should only consist of about 10% of their diet. I'm not an expert in nutrition though, and I can't remember who is. Hopefully one of our experts will chime in and advise you.
I understand that, but our girls were fine on this food, and cleaning it all up until about 2-3 months ago, and even with new bags. Eating the pellets/crumb and anything else included in it. Maybe the recipe changed or they're having some manufacturing issues; it was about the same time we bought some wheat from the same country that weirdly contained buckwheat, barley, peas that were not on the label.

I understand that, but our girls were fine on this food, and cleaning it all up until about 2-3 months ago, and even with new bags. Eating the pellets/crumb and anything else included in it. Maybe the recipe changed or they're having some manufacturing issues; it was about the same time we bought some wheat from the same country that weirdly contained buckwheat, barley, peas that were not on the label.
Try making it into a mash (add hot water until thick oatmeal consistency). I've gotten this tip so many times on here, and for good reason. If the birds eat it, then you can call their bluff. The food is likely fine.

I've also had mine go on food strikes when they decide their measured treats are the only thing they'll accept.

Mine eat whatever I put in their feeders. The only thing they turn their noses up at is banana's and maybe one other thing. I don't know what all they eat free ranging but some afternoons their bellies are full enough they need belly bras. You should see them come running for scratch with those swinging side to side crops.

I have no patience or tolerance for picky eaters, whether they are chickens, other pets, or kids. I grew up poor and you ate what was on the table and were grateful you had anything at all, or else you went to bed hungry. These chickens are living the life, I've spent a lot on them already including on a feed that's nutritionally complete and good for them. That is all they get. If it's not old, moldy, full of weevils or otherwise compromised, and they still don't like it, then they can go to bed hungry. If there are health concerns, I will take that into account and examine the chicken or take them to the vet, but other than that, a healthy chicken won't starve themselves in the presence of food. I have other things to be doing with my time and money than pander to pickiness (from any species in my household).

I have no patience or tolerance for picky eaters, whether they are chickens, other pets, or kids. I grew up poor and you ate what was on the table and were grateful you had anything at all, or else you went to bed hungry. These chickens are living the life, I've spent a lot on them already including on a feed that's nutritionally complete and good for them. That is all they get. If it's not old, moldy, full of weevils or otherwise compromised, and they still don't like it, then they can go to bed hungry. If there are health concerns, I will take that into account and examine the chicken or take them to the vet, but other than that, a healthy chicken won't starve themselves in the presence of food. I have other things to be doing with my time and money than pander to pickiness (from any species in my household).
:clap:clap:clap

K0k0ska isn't taking your guff, chickens! EAT YOUR FOOD!

I really believe the only way to be sure they get a balanced diet is to keep before them at all times a commercially formulated pellet or crumble. If they can see individual components like corn, peas, wheat, etc., they will surely pick out what they like and leave the rest. The same way one of my kids picks peas out of a stew or pot pie and won't eat them, lol, and the other one picks olives and onions off a pizza (he now gets cheese only). The items you are feeding your chickens should only be offered as a treat, like cake and ice cream, not a steady diet, IMO, and should only consist of about 10% of their diet. I'm not an expert in nutrition though, and I can't remember who is. Hopefully one of our experts will chime in and advise you.
I had switched from Dumor to Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve (hereafter called HHR) for no particular reason, but since these silkies are my little princesses and princes I thought I'd treat them.

The coop was a mess. Their feeder hangs 3" from the floor, so they used their beaks to drag out so much of it by picking through it. I pulled the feeder and made them eat off the floor for the two days it would take the layer crumbles to get here. I replaced the HHR with layer crumbles, which they eat, and still order the HHR as I ferment it with a 6-grain scratch and a smidge of chia seeds.

Now, they don't pick through it but eat every ounce of it.

I had switched from Dumor to Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve (hereafter called HHR) for no particular reason, but since these silkies are my little princesses and princes I thought I'd treat them.

The coop was a mess. Their feeder hangs 3" from the floor, so they used their beaks to drag out so much of it by picking through it. I pulled the feeder and made them eat off the floor for the two days it would take the layer crumbles to get here. I replaced the HHR with layer crumbles, which they eat, and still order the HHR as I ferment it with a 6-grain scratch and a smidge of chia seeds.

Now, they don't pick through it but eat every ounce of it.
Once I made the mistake of sprinkling a few grubs into their 7lb feeder. I swear they would have beaked the whole thing if I hadn't intervened! Glad you found a solution. Ours love fermented feed.

I feed my ladies Kalmbach flock maker pellets, and they have zero issues gobbling it up. I'd suggest picking a feed that is nutritionally sound and sticking with it. Maybe make a mash out of it the first couple of days (my ladies think they are getting served fillet mignon when I make mash :lau ) they will eventually eat it. I will say when I first switched to pellets, my older gals gave me the stink eye, but came around.
Curious... how do you or others make mash?!

Once I made the mistake of sprinkling a few grubs into their 7lb feeder. I swear they would have beaked the whole thing if I hadn't intervened! Glad you found a solution. Ours love fermented feed.
Sorrry - if this is a dumb question - I am new to owning my four chickens... how do you ferment feed?

Back
Top Bottom