Anyone ever have a incubated egg blow up?

Maryallison77

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
My 7 eggs are under my broody hen and we are on day 8. I have been reading about candling and I am learning. Well while reading I read bad eggs could blow up. :mad: That would be gross!!!! Ewwwwwww! Has it ever happened to anyone? I hate to toss any eggs out in fear that that could blow up like a bomb!!!!!! I am new and don't wanta throw out any good eggs.

I had one in the incubator that i thought looked good. i left it in with the other good eggs, about a week later...KABLOOEY!!! all over a newly hatched Silkie chick, i found out quick why he was chirping so much. it took forever & some bleach water to clean the incubator. The chick got a bath & put immediately under a light to dry off...he was still stinky, an not very happy about it, he wouldn't stop chirping the rest of the night.

I have never had an egg blow up, but did have a weeping egg. It was so rotten and nasty. It had been dripping down on the lower eggs. I grabbed that sucker and ran for the door and then chucked it into the field as far as I could before it blew. So gross.

My last hatch (which was so bad I didnt even have a hatch) didnt have a rotten egg, but after ONE day, i looked in the bator and something had exploded. I got the egg out and was so worried it was rotten, but turned out it had COOKED! Yes, I was stupid and put the eggs in a cold incubator, and the heat source blew right on that egg constantly until the bator heated up.

my daughter and i had an egg blow up on us as we were candling from under our silkie hen. we actually had to strip down to our skivvies outside!!! it probably was the GROSSEST smell i ever had to deal with.
even then it took alot of strong soap to get the smell off of us and vicks to clear my nose of the smell!
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Yes, not in the bator thankfully.. I was getting rid of some overdue eggs and one blew up in my hand.
lucky for me it blew away from me and I only got a little on my fingers.. you have to go a long way to match that smell..LOL

Just a tip,,,If you smell something bad in your bator, locate it and get it out.. the toxins given off from a bad egg will kill the rest of your eggs.. usually happens around day 14 or so....

Thanks everyone! I am thinking a few are bad out there, but nervous about pulling them out cause I am sooooo new at this. I hope I don't get blown up on--haha...laughing now, but probably won't laugh if it happens.... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom