Anyone grow feeder fish/minnows for their birds?

SwampFlock

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
Conroe, TX
I've been toying with diving into aquaponics but the scale! So I've seen people make cool systems out of something as small as a 5 gallon blue water jug and an aquarium pump. It's great nutrients for the plants, but what to do with those tiny fish???? I was wondering if I could make myself a lil 55 gallon or smaller aquaponics system (free tanks from Craigslist abound!) and just feed the minnows to my chickens when they breed too much. Beats buying treats or fish meal from the store and people grow soldier flies and worms for chickens all the time. Figured the chickens will still get their protein packed treats and the fish pee can grow me some lettuce!

Sounds like a great idea! My girls love sardines and tuna. Now I'm picturing a wading pool full of wriggling minnows to keep them busy.

You can, yes! Just make sure you feed those fish well and healthy. Anything that those fish eat also goes into your birds. What I used to do is flood the chicken run and release minnows for the chickens, they turned from friendly birbs into those egrets and fish hunting birds, they would use their beaks to spear fish. Just note its pretty bloody to watch them eat. What my silkies would do is shoot their beaks into the flooded pen when they found a minnow, throw it onto land, rip its head off and step on the minnow then eat all the exploded guts and organs one by one, just know its violent before feeding them that

EDIT: it was only the silkies that would be that violent, all the other girls would just spear them and swallow em

Last edited:
I have minnows in my pond and this past fall added some that reproduce quickly and don't get very large. I haven't offered minnows to my chickens but my ducks love them. I use a net to fish them out of the pond every night as a treat for my ducks right before they're locked up.

Back
Top Bottom