Anyone hatch out their own meat birds?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I have a very small flock, and this year is my first year ordering meat birds (25).
Eventually I'd like to not have to order them (they are almost $3 each in Canada).
Is there a way to breed a bird big enough for eating using a Cream Legbar rooster?
Would an Orpington /Legbar cross be a decent size?
Or a Barnavelder /Legabr cross?

Can I let 4 or 5 young roos (less than 16 weeks old- free range with my main rooster and my egg hens, or would I need to free range them at different times/or keep them in a coop?

Thanks!

I keep multiple roosters, often ~6 depending on how many hens I have. They break off into groups of about five, each with a male, while free ranging, which is pretty good for keeping everyone aware of predators. So, in that aspect, multiple males are possible. I base my butcher time on rowdiness and overhang rather than a specific number of weeks. When I can feel and see the tension, it's time to thin the boys out. We don't usually eat meat on the bone so skimming and boiling for shredded meat works well for me, and thus size doesn't matter as much. It's not like they double in size by keeping them a couple weeks longer, but you can almost hear the sign of relief when they're gone.

You'll want to ensure your hens aren't overmated. Even better would be to have a separate coop and pen for your meat grow-outs.

I have a very small flock, and this year is my first year ordering meat birds (25).
Eventually I'd like to not have to order them (they are almost $3 each in Canada).
Is there a way to breed a bird big enough for eating using a Cream Legbar rooster?
Would an Orpington /Legbar cross be a decent size?
Or a Barnavelder /Legabr cross?

Can I let 4 or 5 young roos (less than 16 weeks old- free range with my main rooster and my egg hens, or would I need to free range them at different times/or keep them in a coop?

Thanks!
Just my opinion but I doubt that you can create a good meat bird using a Cream Legbar rooster.

You may find the Toad Raising thread interesting as it is one person's method of developing his own meat bird breed.

@Molpet - newbie here...sorry could you not use abbreviations- I don't know what that means. :idunno

I do have a separate pen for grow outs- but I'm not sure how to free range them together, but then coop them up separately?- will they just learn to go into the bachelor pad? I don't have time to chase and catch cockerels every night...

I will look into the toad raising thread- thanks!!

@Molpet - newbie here...sorry could you not use abbreviations- I don't know what that means. :idunno

I do have a separate pen for grow outs- but I'm not sure how to free range them together, but then coop them up separately?- will they just learn to go into the bachelor pad? I don't have time to chase and catch cockerels every night...

I believe the abbreviations are for:
CX = Cornish Cross meat birds
BR = Barred Rock
BJG = Black Jersey Giant

R2elk is correct
CX = Cornish Cross meat birds
BR = Barred Rock
BJG = Black Jersey Giant
If your meat birds are white they most likely are CX... If they are red they most likely are a ranger type... keep a small hen and check fertility after she has been laying for a couple of weeks.
images

The cx don't live long. Mine only laid in the fall and passed before she started laying in the spring.

My grow outs are locked in for a few weeks and go back in on their own.. the problem is they harass any pullet when they get 13 or so weeks old

Back
Top Bottom