Anyone have a Sportsman?

Quote:
I really can't see how there is any difference between selling chicks at Easter or selling them in the summer, or selling them in the fall. You will never be able to weed out all the crazies. I don't see anything wrong with her producing chicks at the time of year when they are the most popular. Good for her for finding a market!

I sell more animals of all types around Easter, it's just the time of year when people start getting the animal itch.

Some parents think it would be "cute" to get them for thier kids for easter. Well sometimes the parents arent smart enough to think about what they will do with them when they get big. So... the end up being dropped off some where or end up in an animal shelter. Same goes for rabbits. Not a big deal if you sell them at any other time. You dont just go a rabbit or chicken just because you see it and its easter, you get them cause you are probably looking for one. But during easter some parents get all happy thinking how cute it would be, and dont even think of what they will do with a full grown chicken. If you have read the threads on dyed chicks, you will know where i am comming from.

Edited to add: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24254
although
these chicks arent dyed, people that see them still think easter chicks. Selling them at farmers markets is a good thing tho, no city folks that cant support the chicks will really be there. As long as they are not advertised as easter chicks. I have ads on my craigslist, and i cant stand it.
hmm.png

Last edited:
My point is that it happens all year long, not just at Easter.

I think it's wrong to criticize someone for their decisions when you don't know anything about them or their needs.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I draw the line at trying to force opinions on others.

If she wants to hatch out little biddies for Easter, or Christmas, or the 4th of July, who are you (or any of us) to say it's wrong?

I sell baby goats that will end up as dinner for the Easter holiday. Do I feel guilty? Nope, it's part of the process.

Did i criticize her? NOT AT ALL!!! I just asked a simple question. Are they for Easter? Didint say she was stupid! Didnt say she shouldnt sell them! All i said is that i discourage you to sell them as easter chicks. And i said its not anything to get upset over. I just asked a simple question. And i was getting my thread back on track. Leave it be! If Kristen wants to say something, then let HER speak her mind! Do Not get my thread off track! So this is the end of that unless Kristen want to say something. Thats fine. Nobody else need to get involved. So end of story. sorry for all the yelling. i just got upset. Lets get his back on track
smile.png

I have a Sportsman, I got mine used. I love it, set it and forget it. When I first started it up, I checked everything all the time, but it's been so consistant, I only check it once a week now.

I'm not sure, it's about 3 years old, it doesn't have the LCD display, but I think it's the electronic thermostat b/c it has a wafer as a "back-up"

I want to get one of the new ones and a hatcher. Have to wait until my poor checkbook can afford it though.

Having one now, I can say without a doubt, they are worth every penny.

Now if my girls would just start laying so I could fill the thing.

Quote:
Whoa...isn't this is a bit harsh.
hmm.png

I read the thread and NOT once did it come across that Brooster was criticizing ANY one. Brooster simply asked a question. If someone took offense to it...it does make me wonder why?

Pedro

Back
Top Bottom