Anyone have bears hanging around?

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
We have always coexisted with the wild-life around our land...yes...including the occasional moose that barrels through our horse fence. Lately, Mr. ( or Mrs. Bear) have been visiting our land most mornings. There is no food around, although I do have a grain feeder inside the coop...I never put food outside. Mind you, black bears are no stranger to our neck of the woods. However, these visits seem to be more frequent than I remember. I should also mention, we've never lost a chicken to a bear. Anybody have problems with bears?

Bears and coons are related, and yes, they both love chicken. They are both hard-impossible to get rid of once they get a taste. Is your coop a fortress? If not, the fastest best deterrent would be electric fence. We have several black bear but they won't come close, they must realize I want a rug. I knew, casually, a woman who thought it so great to feed the bears out the kitchen door of her vacation home in north east pa. One summer they arrived to a totally demolished kitchen, the doors were literally torn off, the cabinet ripped up, the door to the fridge-torn half off poetic justice, but those critters are strong. If i noticed one hanging around I'd be concerned, I'd strongly warn it off, shout at it, make lots of scary noise,maybe a round or two in a safe manner that usually warns them away. If it comes back get that fence up fast.

Back
Top Bottom