Anyone have dwarf goats?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
We are thinking about getting pygmy or another type of dwarf goats. We have never had goats before. I would love any and all information about raising them or good places to find information please.

we have Nigerian dwarf goats. They are known for their high milk production. A lot more doable than big goats.
Goats HATE any kind of weather but a shelter doesn't have to be fancy, just a place to get them out of the wind and rain. You have to stay really on top of hoof trimming. Its not hard but if they get too long, they'll founder. Goats eat until they bloat so don't leave any grain out. they are also master escape experts so the fence needs to be sturdy or electric with no holes to squeeze out of. Goats are herd animals so you have to get at least two.
Are you getting them for weed control or milking? Weathers will be cheaper because they're just castrated bucks whereas nannies are much more expensive. Registered goats are also more pricy. Hope this helps a bit. hopefully, someone else can chime in with a bit more info.

we have Nigerian dwarf goats. They are known for their high milk production. A lot more doable than big goats.
Goats HATE any kind of weather but a shelter doesn't have to be fancy, just a place to get them out of the wind and rain. You have to stay really on top of hoof trimming. Its not hard but if they get too long, they'll founder. Goats eat until they bloat so don't leave any grain out. they are also master escape experts so the fence needs to be sturdy or electric with no holes to squeeze out of. Goats are herd animals so you have to get at least two.
Are you getting them for weed control or milking? Weathers will be cheaper because they're just castrated bucks whereas nannies are much more expensive. Registered goats are also more pricy. Hope this helps a bit. hopefully, someone else can chime in with a bit more info.
Thank you. And just getting them as pets with weed control as a bonus. So from the bit of research I have done weathers seem like the best choice for us.

What type of fencing is best? And how big for a shelter and pen area do they need.

I have 2 ND goats, they are super sweet and make sure they have a good shelter to get out of rain, they hate rain.

Thank you. And just getting them as pets with weed control as a bonus. So from the bit of research I have done weathers seem like the best choice for us.

What type of fencing is best? And how big for a shelter and pen area do they need.
we have box wire fencing and premier 1 electric fencing that works really well. the box wire fenced in section gets eaten down very quickly and thats why we like the premier 1 fencing because you can move it around and have them eat stuff. Smaller goats can use smaller shelter, thats a big plus, in the summer we just use calf hutches and in the winter they have a little barn shed thing. people recommend 135 square feet per goat but you can do smaller than that if you're moving them around

one thing to think about is it you want them dehorned or not. I think the horns are handy for grabbing for hoof trimming or leading around. People get worried abotu the horns but all the ND goats i've ever been around have been super sweet and never shown signs of agression, its all personal prefrence

I would definitely keep horns. I only have 6 goats and they all have horns, smaller goats need all the defense mechanisms. I don't have a fence actually and mine shelter in a lean-to made of an old wooden bunk bed lol
X2 plus op I'll post a pic of my inclosure and fence

Would love to see everyone's set up.

I have read that they shouldn't have much grain? Especially wethers. Is this true? They eat mainly hay? What other stuff do you feed them?

We have a 6' stockade fence around my whole backyard but we also have a Rottweiler that while he loves everything he meets he can play rough so until trained and we are sure he is good then we definitely need a good fenced part.

Would love to see everyone's set up.

I have read that they shouldn't have much grain? Especially wethers. Is this true? They eat mainly hay? What other stuff do you feed them?

We have a 6' stockade fence around my whole backyard but we also have a Rottweiler that while he loves everything he meets he can play rough so until trained and we are sure he is good then we definitely need a good fenced part.
Mine get I think ½ cup twice a day of grain and 1 flack of hay for the 2 of them a day, they are does though

Back
Top Bottom