ANYONE HERE A "WORMFARMER" OR RAISE WORMS???

mhoward92

Songster
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
So Im thinking about raising worms for both my garden and my chickens. I will use them to break down compost into an rich soil for gardening. when I get enough so that they breed themselves fast I will dry some and grind them up to mix with the chickenfeed. (also will give the girls live ones to play with too) But im clueless on what kind to get and ect. just wondering if anyone here has ever done this sort of farming/raising that would be willing to give me some rundown on the whole thing.

Thanks in advance

Mitch

You use redworms. They are also called red wigglers (just like on WKRP in Cincinatti
lol.png
) or manure worms.
I had a worm bin once - it was quite interesting, but I never got going on any kind of serious scale. Have you ever visited a worm farm? I'd plan a visit to one if you haven't - very cool, the whole process.

My grandad raised worms so no matter where I dig,, I have worms! I have two old bathtubs I use for my worms. I put screen over the drain so excess liquid could drain out and there is a pan to catch that because it's like super duper fertilizer! I have an old carpet over the top to keep it moist and dark, they multiply like crazy. You can buy fishing worms at Wal Mart to start with they work just fine.

Last edited:
Growing Worms? Well I have an aunt who used to grow worms. She is about 75 years old now and has long given up the worm business. Anyway, she and her husband used to grow worms and they did quite well. They grew them for the gas stations and small stores that offered worms for sale as fishing bait. They used to grow them in big wooden framed containers....looked sort of like borders around a flower bed except the sides went up about 24 inches high. They used manure and all kinds of things to enrichen the soil. She bought and paid cash for three brand new cars with money she earned while growing worms. So, I think she did well in the worm business. Good luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
You can buy fishing worms at Wal Mart to start with they work just fine.

Ok that was actually what my main question was. I have been picking some worms up in the woods nearby. So I can buy just regular fishing worms from wal-mart ect.? I thought you probabaly could but I was not really sure if they still reproduced or not. Im like really greenie at this worm stuff so i figured that maybe they were full grown and did not reproduce or something
tongue.png
but Thanks to everyone who posted
smile.png
still if you have any more information about it just post ill keep reading

Thanks, Mitch​

My dad did that about fifteen years ago. He just had a raised bed in his back yard, probably six foot by twelve foot. He made it sort of like a compost bin and dug up worms from elsewhere and put them in there. Regular old earthworms. Didn't take long for his bed to be full of worms. It was neat. Handy to have on hand for fishing and such.

Cassandra

If your buying fishing worms get the red wigglers, night crawlers are harder to raise.

dont feed to many to your hens. in ideal conditions it takes 45+ days to double the ammount of worms you have. so if you over feed it will take for ever to bring your population up.

do a search on here there's been a few posts on raising worms lately.

Quick question: I've been looking into making my own chicken feed, and I know they have to have protein. I'm wondering if dried ground up worms would work as the protein. I'm sure they need vegetable protein as well (I'm not sure what all I would need for a complete feed) but would worms work????

Back
Top Bottom