Anyone here cook racoon?

Well, if we get the thread closed I won't get any more pointers or recipes. So far we have trapped two and the dh doesn't want to deal with the skinning etc. One of his co-workers is taking them. I might have to learn to butcher them myself. Somehow knowing they mauled our best bird makes me think I cab do it.

My brothers mother in law told him that when she was young they ate smoked raccoon.
She claimed it was delicious and wanted a younger one, if i had anymore problems with them.
Something that I might try but never thought it was worth breaking out the smoker for.

Quote:
Check with your DNR (State Wildlife Agency) to find out what they know about incidence/prevalence in your area. Here, in MO, they can carry Parvo/Distemper but only very rarely Rabies. If all droppings in trap are diarrhea/coon `looks'/acts `unthrifty' - harvest and deliver to turkey vulture feeding station.

Since I open up all harvested preds (like to know what/how much they've been eating), anyway, it isn't that much of an effort (after gutting/remove head/tail/paws) to place carcass in plastic bag and toss in freezer until almost frozen. This makes removal of hide much easier (like to use the wife's Joyce Chen sewing/utility scissors - as good as any surgeon's snips). Also immediately remove scent glands under fore legs and along spine near small of back (when gutting get the picky glands) DO NOT cut into glands. Soak in brine/white vinegar overnight at room temp. Back in freezer until nearly frozen (makes cutting away fat - toss out/chopping meat into chunks easy. Saute meat chunks in small amount of oil. Cool meat, place in double plastic bag and freeze. Repeat process with every coon until we have enough coon to can (2.5lb. per qt. - 6 qt. Mirromatic Pressure Cooker). Beef broth/a little cheap Merlot/half a cup of coffee for a base add meat, heat the `soup' - bottle up - 15psi x 1hr.45min.

Pretty tasty with noodles or rice (not as good as Snapping Turtle).

Never have prepared any other way.

ed: clarity

Do you happen to have a diagram of exactly where the scent glands are? Dh keeps giving the coons away. He's got coonzilla out there now, it has broken the cage four or five times so he's finally ready to butcher this bad boy.

Did you know the 1930 issue of "Joy of Cooking" has a recipe for raccoon? Edit to say, my 1972 edition has a recipe as well. Checking out cookbooks now.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Haven't forgotten. Had family business out of town and, unfortunately, only opossums in the traps this past two weeks. Soon as P.L. makes an appearence I'll PM you with link to an illustrated primer. As there seems to have been some need for ammonia poppers required for those of delicate sensibilities I'll forgo any links in public posts.

Our MaoMau has also volunteered to relinquish life number 2 of 9 in order to avail those discerning gourmands of a quick preparation of putty tatare
cool.png
tongue.png
cool.png

PanCat101907.jpg

Than you and no I wouldn't want to eat puddytat. I love cats.

Although that one looks like it would be good with Buffalo Chicken Wing sauce.
hide.gif
kidding folks...

Last edited:
Quote:
I've actually talked to DNR about this to satisfy my own curiosity. Fully cooking the meat destroys the rabies virus. I understand where you are coming from on this though.

<----would never eat a raccoon, possum, armadillo, or any wild animal such as those.

Back
Top Bottom