Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

Statistically I think this was a very good hatch.

I chose cold weather tolerant breeds (and unusual breeds for this area) because I do not heat my coop.

I will say that the easiest way to take baby pictures is to do it before they hatch and start MOVING!

Hatch day was Saturday with one little Barnevelder waiting until Sunday.
The final score was
9 chicks (4 Breda, 2 Barnevelder, 2 FaverollexWelsummer and 1 Welsummer)
2 unfertilized eggs
2 dead in the shell
1 MIA early in the setting weeks

14 total eggs

They look like so much fun, I love that the Polish have their little crests already as chicks. Where did you get them from? Are they straight run?

We got 9 chicks around the end of February. 3 each of Buff Orp, Easter Egger, Speckled Sussex. They were all sexed pullets but one of the Sussex is definitely a dude (we are cool with a rooster as long as he behaves.) I didn't expect them to have so much personality, and I didn't expect my whole family to enjoy them this much, even my husband who thought he was just humoring me with this whole chicken thing.

Obviously now we need to get more, right??
big_smile.png

hey Pinebarrens!! Sorry it took me a while to answer this! Work has been frying my brains! We got the Polish Crested at our local Agway in New Egypt. It's not call Agway anymore, It's something like "Gardens and Animals Unlimited"! if you're from the barrens, you probably know where New Egypt is. However, if not, I can try and explain where for you. They're all getting so big now and we have 1 roo! We're okay with the 1 roo too! A couple of the 14 that we picked up were from straight runs...I think the specialty ones were not straight run....but who knows, like I said, my brain is pretty much fried right now!!

AND YYYEEEESSS! it's a moral imperative to get more chicks!! I'm with you on that 100%. We didn't think we would be as crazy about them as we are either! Every time we go on a trip, we are panicked that our friends will not take good care of our babies. We always come home to them still alive, but they definitely are not as picky about keeping the coop as clean as we do! I guess I should count my blessings that I have friends who are willing to look in on our chickens so that we can go away!

Statistically I think this was a very good hatch.

I chose cold weather tolerant breeds (and unusual breeds for this area) because I do not heat my coop.

I will say that the easiest way to take baby pictures is to do it before they hatch and start MOVING!

Hey SNJ - time to post updated pics!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

hey Pinebarrens!! Sorry it took me a while to answer this! Work has been frying my brains! We got the Polish Crested at our local Agway in New Egypt. It's not call Agway anymore, It's something like "Gardens and Animals Unlimited"! if you're from the barrens, you probably know where New Egypt is. However, if not, I can try and explain where for you. They're all getting so big now and we have 1 roo! We're okay with the 1 roo too! A couple of the 14 that we picked up were from straight runs...I think the specialty ones were not straight run....but who knows, like I said, my brain is pretty much fried right now!!

AND YYYEEEESSS! it's a moral imperative to get more chicks!! I'm with you on that 100%. We didn't think we would be as crazy about them as we are either! Every time we go on a trip, we are panicked that our friends will not take good care of our babies. We always come home to them still alive, but they definitely are not as picky about keeping the coop as clean as we do! I guess I should count my blessings that I have friends who are willing to look in on our chickens so that we can go away!

Oh goodness, I understand about fried brains. And I definitely know where that store is :)

How old is your little roo now? Ours is about 4 months, and starting to dance, which is hilarious.

We already have a regular pet sitter we have used for years for our other animals, and I completely trust her, so I'm pretty OK with the idea of going away. But, I do worry because we let our flock roam our yard and we live right in the woods. I read in the paper recently about coyotes attacking somebody's dog maybe 5 miles from us.

My mother-in-law was here the other day and was so tickled that our chickens come running when called.
lol.png
I told her, it's just because they're spoiled, we're always giving them treats. We were eating dinner on the deck tonight and chickens were circling like sharks.

Oh goodness, I understand about fried brains. And I definitely know where that store is :)

How old is your little roo now? Ours is about 4 months, and starting to dance, which is hilarious.

We already have a regular pet sitter we have used for years for our other animals, and I completely trust her, so I'm pretty OK with the idea of going away. But, I do worry because we let our flock roam our yard and we live right in the woods. I read in the paper recently about coyotes attacking somebody's dog maybe 5 miles from us.

My mother-in-law was here the other day and was so tickled that our chickens come running when called.
lol.png
I told her, it's just because they're spoiled, we're always giving them treats. We were eating dinner on the deck tonight and chickens were circling like sharks.

Ours is only about 2 months old now. He tries to Eer uh eer er errrrr, but it comes out like Eeeeerrrrrrrrr with the air blowing out of a tire effect!

Where abouts are you near...we have a guinea in the woods who has a nest.....

Ours is only about 2 months old now. He tries to Eer uh eer er errrrr, but it comes out like Eeeeerrrrrrrrr with the air blowing out of a tire effect!

Where abouts are you near...we have a guinea in the woods who has a nest.....
Yeah our guy is only now really getting the hang of crowing, they are so silly
lau.gif

We're near Chatsworth in Woodland Twp. Coyote attack was in Shamong:

http://pinebarrenstribune.com/a-pair-of-coyotes-attack-family-pet-in-shamong-p158-165.htm

Yeah our guy is only now really getting the hang of crowing, they are so silly
lau.gif

We're near Chatsworth in Woodland Twp. Coyote attack was in Shamong:

http://pinebarrenstribune.com/a-pair-of-coyotes-attack-family-pet-in-shamong-p158-165.htm

Oooo, thanks for the link! Our little guy doesn't dance yet, he does try to roost on little limbs we placed in the coop. It takes a little bit and then he finally settles on the branch. His crowing is really funny and he looves to have us pet him. He's really friendly and loving. I'm guessing as he gets older, we're going to have to candle our eggs. Have you done that?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom