Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

We are still waiting on our first egg. We expect it any day now. So, no, not yet.

Our rooster was my special little buddy until a few weeks ago, when he suddenly didn't want to be touched anymore. Several more experienced chicken people say that is normal and to just give him his space and let him do his rooster thing. He does keep an eye on his ladies and makes sure everybody goes to bed on time in the evening and calls them over when there is something good to eat, or when he sees me coming because they always think I have something good to eat.

He and one of the ladies were standing on the deck railing and he tried to dance for her... and fell off the rail. We really hope he continues to be a nice polite boy, we love him.

I will attempt to get some pictures. The chicks have feathers now and are flying! I must be vigilant since every neighbor has a dog. Guess I better find a good butterfly net!

So far I have spotted one rooster in the group. Sadly it is one of the two Barnevelders. I REALLY wanted them to be hens. Jusry is out on the Faverolles.

We are still waiting on our first egg. We expect it any day now. So, no, not yet.

Our rooster was my special little buddy until a few weeks ago, when he suddenly didn't want to be touched anymore. Several more experienced chicken people say that is normal and to just give him his space and let him do his rooster thing. He does keep an eye on his ladies and makes sure everybody goes to bed on time in the evening and calls them over when there is something good to eat, or when he sees me coming because they always think I have something good to eat.

He and one of the ladies were standing on the deck railing and he tried to dance for her... and fell off the rail. We really hope he continues to be a nice polite boy, we love him.

did you get your first egg????
yippiechickie.gif

YES, today!! My 13 year old son found it. He told me this morning he thought one of the buff orp ladies was about to lay, and he was right. He brought the little pullet egg into the house still warm from being laid.

It's pretty exciting.
big_smile.png

I will attempt to get some pictures. The chicks have feathers now and are flying! I must be vigilant since every neighbor has a dog. Guess I better find a good butterfly net!

So far I have spotted one rooster in the group. Sadly it is one of the two Barnevelders. I REALLY wanted them to be hens. Jusry is out on the Faverolles.

I worry about our chickens going over the fence too, though our situation is different since we are surrounded by woods. I have wondered about extending the top of the fence by putting some chicken wire up or something... I'm not sure if there is a way to do that without it being super ugly.

Sorry you have superfluous roosters coming up. The breeds you have sound great, how are you liking the Faverolles so far? Are yours as friendly as some people say?

Pictures are tough to get! The little ones are FAST and definitely not going to stand still.

The faverolles are quite docile but with 9 babies it has been hard for me to get them all used to me. Usually I have added hens 2 at a time so everyone got a lot of petting and attention from the "big hen"!

How long have you been chicken keeping?

I am in Camden County (Blackwood area) and have had hens for 4 years. I just started 9 new chicks to have more eggs now that the older girls are slowing down.

We have a small yard and a lot of hawks but I try to let my hens free range every time I can spend time gardening.

I have the story of my coop on the site.

saying hello to this south jersey group, westampton here. PM if anyone interested in joint hatchery ordering ( where we simply pay for what you ordered and split the shipping) just friendly helping one another. so tired of the craigslist posting to join in on an ordering and the person wants 1$ over the chick price plus splitting the shipping!

What a great idea. I wish i was closer to you I would for sure be in for splitting an order and I bet a few friends here may too. We keep small batches of hens as we are a more rural area.

Back
Top Bottom