Anyone here train chickens?

Mine are trained to run into a small cat crate, does that count?
Silseb, yes it does!

Do you mind sharing how? I would really like to do that with mine, and to learn to come to me when I call, just in case of emergencies. So far I thought I would just whistle the same tune every time I bring them treats, so they would associate that with food and come running, but I would really love to train them to run into a carrier.

My chickens are doing more tricks now. They're great!

My new batch of chicks are almost old enough to train now. So excited!!!!!!!

WOW, I have trained a chicken for showmanship, and don't really train them much for anything else. And I should say that my chicken trained herself for showmanship because she behaves pretty well on her own when I am holding her

I have only one bantam, and 6 standard. All born this March. Recently my bantam has been disappearing all night and only showing during the day for a few hours. After several days I realized she's staying with neighbors who own chickens. Then I discovered why. My standard pullets are picking on her. Through BYC I was informed that I may need to separate her and give her some bantam sisters and a coop of their own.
I have been searching and it isn't looking good for us to add bantam pullets. I'm running into closed doors. I plan on adding bantam chick for sure in the spring. But until then
1f612.png
. This weekend my husband is building her a private run. We captured her and have been keeping her in our temporary coop that the Cornish cross used. But she's so lonely. At night we add her back to the group. This has been going on for two days. The run is almost done.
Anyway. My question is. Can I train the standard pullets to be respectful to my little bantam? This afternoon we integrated her for dinner and a few times a standard would bee line toward her just to peck her. They all got along just wonderful until recently. I would love to bring that back. Their smart. I think it's possible. Thank you.

Some of our chickens will peck the queen of hearts from a deck of cards. Others prefer to peck the dots on a 1x1 foam die. One will go find the die when told and if she doesn't see it, she will follow my pointing hand to see where it went. She has almost learned to bring it back to me.

How do I teach them to stay? They will come when called and will usually go home when told, but stay would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom