Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I'm sad and happy at the same time. My order arrived today, 14 dead...but thankfully 20 arrived safe and sound. One whole side of the box was dead (it was divided into two compartments). I am so sad, all my Polish, the Buttercups, Houdans, and Golden Penciled Hamburgs didn't make it. I contacted the hatchery and they will replace later on in the spring.

Oh well, I will wait until March to order chicks next time or maybe order more at a time so they will have a better chance? I thought with 34 they would be warm enough, I guess not. All the others are doing well. One is borderline, mostly sleeping and hasn't really started to eat yet, I have given drops of water with Save a Chick added and she seems to be doing better. I'll call her Miracle if she makes it...

Awww I'm so sorry to hear that... I also have a bunch that's sleeping under the lamp. I don't know if that is because they're really weak, too hot or maybe they're just sleeping. Well I'm glad you have 20 doing better. Maybe that side of the box was facing a window or getting a draft?
Miracle sounds like the perfect name =D
Good Luck!

I'm thinking that side of the box must have been near a draft or something, or maybe because one side had 20 and the other had only 14 so they got cold because there wasn't enough of them? I could guess all day, doesn't change what happened. The hatchery was very prompt with their reply to my email, I am sure this does happen a lot.

Mine are running around like....chickens! Preening, eating, pecking at each other, and then collapsing on their side for a chicken nap. I love chicken TV, it's the best! I've been sitting by the brooder all day, not getting anything done because I can't stop looking at them.

i knoww I've not done anything today! my DH had to make breakfast this morning. lol I'm so nervous when they "collapse" and nap =/ they look like they're about to die? lol

I have to agree, chicken/chick TV is the best ever!
big_smile.png

Oh nooo!!! That's awful that twenty didn't make it. How heart breaking to open up the box to that. I'm glad the hatchery is willing to things right but still....sigh.

Miracle is a perfect name. I hope she makes it. They are all in good hands now.

I left mine alone today for a long time because I had work I had to do and then errands. I can't seem to keep the temp steady in there. But my goodness it's 60 one day and 19 the next. Haha!

I have that one runt but she snuggles next to her normal sized sister and then the one that's a week and a half younger snuggles up to the big one who we names Grandmother Pearl. I guess grandma Pearl is fulfilling her duties. Lol it's weird how a week in a half changes things because the older ones seem older and the younger one acts younger but then I worry something is wrong with her but remind myself she's just younger. I really want her to make it because she's the isbar mix. I really want them all to be she's and not he's.

I've lost 2 of my partridge Chenteclers from my shipment
sad.png
They were both much smaller than the others and seemed to have been struggling. Everyone else is doing great though. They're growing like little weeds!

So sad to loose the babies, Miracle didn't make it and so far 3 more have died. I hope everyone else does okay. I'm hovering over them, checking to see if anyone isn't eating, drinking and pooping but it seems I can't stop the process. I can tell the ones doing poorly as their little crops are empty and they are just sleeping and not acting like chickens. Ug. I've never had problems like this, this is my third year ordering chickens and the first time I've lost ANY from shipment. I will wait another 24 hours to notify the hatchery as they have a 48 hour guarantee. At this point I've lost half my order with these chicks!!!! :(

Back
Top Bottom