Anyone interested in a Chik-n-Barn?

biretta, you should consider getting a wooden storage shed if you want to expand your flock. An 8x8' shed will hold 16 birds. Just cut a pop door, or even use the front door, for them to go out. It's easy to put up a few roosts and throw in boxes or milk crates for nests. Or you could get a nesting unit to hang on the wall. It doesn't take great carpentry skills to have chickens, if it did I'd be sunk. Also, keep your little coop for sick birds, broodies, or even a juvy pen for when hatching begins. You can't have too many coops.
lol.png

biretta I have one and keep a pair of ducks in it. It is fine for them, but far to small for the 6 standard hens was planning to use it for. Feedstore felt sure they would fit. LOL

ML

As of now, I can't expand that much since the backyard isn't that big and the S.O. is already feeling that everything revolves around chickens, i.e., the yard is being overtaken by chickens. We're in the process of getting a 10 acre piece so I'll probably have to hold out till then, which is a year or so. I guess I can use the Chik-N-Barn for my silkie flock after the move. I'm already catching flack for the minimum 25 chickens I told him I have to order when I do!

I have no carpentry skills either, nor does my husband. I use plastic sheds for coops. They work quite well and come in a variety of sizes. They are somewhat inexpensive (considering you spent $300 on the Chik-n-Barn), don't rust or rot and are easy to assemble, move (if necessary) and clean/sterilize. My runs are chain link. If you go with plastic sheds be sure to assemble on LEVEL ground. I also use Dogloos for smaller breeds. They sell them at my local animal shelter (used) for $20 each. I have a bunch. Bigger breeds use them for nesting (just put layer of shavings on floor) and also for raising babies. I also put my feeders in dogloos in the winter to keep it dry.

Last edited:
I considered a plastic shed. How difficult is it to cut a chicken door in it?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets the complaints about putting too much time into their chickens! My DH (the "D" stands for "Difficult" in this case) has accused me of caring more for the chickens than him.......he keeps on complaining and he'll be 100% correct!
roll.png

No carpentry skills or help with building anything here either so I decided early on to hang on to anything purchased for my chickens, figuring somewhere down the road it will be useful once again.

Wish everyone had a love for chickens, don't you?!

I was wondering what DH stands for! I can totally relate,
MamaheninK. The S.O. said he wanted to "store" the chickens on the acreage we're getting, before we build on it a year from now. (We now live on a "normal" sized lot.) I said "Store, them?! They're not books!" I'm just hoping with all the mess they create, the sh*t doesn't hit the fan before we move and can get them off the patio!

Back
Top Bottom