Anyone know how to add more ventilation to this coop?

sunmanchicken127

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2022
UT
Hello.

I recently moved back in with my parents and have been using my dad's coop for my chickens. There are 9 total and we are going to try and change the coop to make it comfortable for my birds. I am hoping I don't have to get rid of them but feedback on here will help me with that decision and seeing if it's even possible to give them solid quality of life.

I live in Northern UT and my concern is the winter and giving them airflow. We are going to take off the roof of this coop and try to add more ventilation & expand on the slant to add more headroom. That way we can move a roost over and give enough space for all of them. I just don't know how to do this and add more ventilation above them. It doesn't seem possible to me. As it stands, the chickens have their heads lined up about where those current vents are when roosting. Is there anyone with any ideas on how to fix the coop and what you would do in this situation? Anything helps. I really want to keep my birds if I can. The coop is ~6'x4'.

20220908_071422.jpg
20220908_071456.jpg

I'd maybe cut large holes up under the gable and cover them with hardware cloth (over the vents that are there now). The holes would still be above the chickens' heads, I think. Then I'd make "shutters" over that I could prop open. And maybe just prop up the roof a d leave that area open and cover with hardware cloth. Kinda like this, maybe?
20190527_124755.jpg

It'd be great if you could make a larger overhang, too. Or even open one whole side and cover with hardware cloth, like an open air design.

I'd maybe cut large holes up under the gable and cover them with hardware cloth (over the vents that are there now). The holes would still be above the chickens' heads, I think. Then I'd make "shutters" over that I could prop open. And maybe just prop up the roof a d leave that area open and cover with hardware cloth. Kinda like this, maybe?
View attachment 3255836

It'd be great if you could make a larger overhang, too. Or even open one whole side and cover with hardware cloth, like an open air design.
do you know how you would keep the rain out from an open roof like that picture if we aren't able to expand the overhang? I'm not sure what supplies my dad has for the job

I'd think about raising the height on the currently lower end, so that becomes the new higher point, and just put the ventilation up there, so it sits well above the birds heads. Sort of like this, where the green Xs are where roosts sit, and the big green triangles would be open vents on both sides, maybe with top hinged covers to help provide protection:
20220908_071422 copy.jpg

Examples of top hinged vent covers:
- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-coop-is-done-now-for-the-run.1381538/
- https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...do-members-think.1498249/page-2#post-25025344
- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

do you know how you would keep the rain out from an open roof like that picture if we aren't able to expand the overhang? I'm not sure what supplies my dad has for the job
I like the suggestion from @rosemarythyme. But you might be able to find free/cheap materials on Craigslist. The coop in the pic I attached is my old coop. I built that out of old fence boards/posts and t111 siding I bought off Craigslist for $10 a sheet. That coop cost about $250 to build, and most of that was the hardware cloth and the custom ordered roof panels. Pallets can be useful, too.

View attachment 3255836

Not much point to me writing anything after seeing this excellent suggestion.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Back
Top Bottom