Anyone know how to subvert a rooster ban/ordinance for a single bird?

As a trainer of service dogs for disabled persons that REQUIRE the assistance of a highly trained service dog to allow quality of life, mobility and independence, I hope you understand  the additional scrutiny, suspicion and public mistrust caused by folks that make a mockery of the law

I fully agree, there are always going to be those that abuse the law and it only makes it worse for those that obey the law... I'm never one to make accusations or accuse people of not having a disability as that is none of my business, but I'm seeing more and more people that I suspect are abusing the service dog laws...

Now don't get me wrong as the person very well could have a disability that requires a service animal, but when I see a young twenties lady all blinged out with her two blinged out Chihuahua in a plush faux fur padded cart cover at Walmart I have my suspicions... The same suspicions I have when I see a guy (in what looks like beach vacation wear and flip flops) walking around Walmart with two dogs that clearly have zero leash or obedience training dragging him down the isle and pulling him in two separate directions while clearly sniffing for a place to lift a leg or snack a snack, while barking or growling at other customers that get close to them...

I do have experience with this. I understand your personal desire to keep an illegal roo, but laws and ordinances are enacted to protect the peaceful enjoyment of life. As a trainer of service dogs for disabled persons that REQUIRE the assistance of a highly trained service dog to allow quality of life, mobility and independence, I hope you understand the additional scrutiny, suspicion and public mistrust caused by folks that make a mockery of the law "I did it successfully with my husky when I lived in an apartment to get around breed/size restrictions and paying a pet deposit and extra rent" has devastating effects on those folks. I'm sure you know that ADA defines a service animal as only a dog or in some cases a pony. I can only hope your post is as satirical as it seemed. If so, a very clever treatise on the lengths you might need take to keep one Roo on your own property. My cuz in Cohoctah would be happy to take him if he's still young and tender. He could be a great service chicken for anger management issues.
lau.gif
Couldn't agree more.

It would be important to learn the difference between a service animal, an emotional support animal, and a therapy animal. All three have different LEGAL definitions, and as such have different protection under the law.

A service animal mitigates a person's disability (physical, mental, or psychological) and has public access rights.

While emotional support animals provide a great comfort to their owners, they don't legally have the right to public access. They are generally exempt from housing regulations.

A therapy animal provides a service to a third party. They are only allowed into public places that specifically invite therapy animals for the sole purpose of performing their jobs. This is where dogs that visit nursing homes fall. They have no other additional public access rights and are not exempt from housing regulations.

I have ZERO respect for anyone who misuses the system to fraudulently obtain service or emotional support status for their pet. There are real working animals out there doing a real job of helping their owners. Every fraudulently certified animal is a slap in the face to them.

I'm a dog trainer. My dogs accompany me in public wherever allowed. My dogs have been mistaken for service dogs. My dogs also provide comfort for my child with a disability. They do not mitigate that disability, nor are they a necessary source of comfort. I would never dream of attempting to gain status for them. It would be unethical and an abuse of the law.

I do have experience with this. I understand your personal desire to keep an illegal roo, but laws and ordinances are enacted to protect the peaceful enjoyment of life. As a trainer of service dogs for disabled persons that REQUIRE the assistance of a highly trained service dog to allow quality of life, mobility and independence, I hope you understand the additional scrutiny, suspicion and public mistrust caused by folks that make a mockery of the law "I did it successfully with my husky when I lived in an apartment to get around breed/size restrictions and paying a pet deposit and extra rent" has devastating effects on those folks. I'm sure you know that ADA defines a service animal as only a dog or in some cases a pony. I can only hope your post is as satirical as it seemed. If so, a very clever treatise on the lengths you might need take to keep one Roo on your own property. My cuz in Cohoctah would be happy to take him if he's still young and tender. He could be a great service chicken for anger management issues. :lau
I fully agree, there are always going to be those that abuse the law and it only makes it worse for those that obey the law... I'm never one to make accusations or accuse people of not having a disability as that is none of my business, but I'm seeing more and more people that I suspect are abusing the service dog laws... Now don't get me wrong as the person very well could have a disability that requires a service animal, but when I see a young twenties lady all blinged out with her two blinged out Chihuahua in a plush faux fur padded cart cover at Walmart I have my suspicions... The same suspicions I have when I see a guy (in what looks like beach vacation wear and flip flops) walking around Walmart with two dogs that clearly have zero leash or obedience training dragging him down the isle and pulling him in two separate directions while clearly sniffing for a place to lift a leg or snack a snack, while barking or growling at other customers that get close to them...
i NEVER said "service animal" (i have no intent to do anything involving a 'service animal', never have, probably never will, i completely agree that they are only for those truly in need of help), in reference to my dog, i Said "therapy animal" and she was used as such for benefit to myself and others, i had/have a valid reason (and trainer's evaluation as required) for having her and, i only chose to register her as such when my houing sitation would not have allowed me to keep her with me otherwise. this also allowed her to go to a local nursing home to comfort the elderly and mentally deficient after i saw how much of a difference she made to a relative with alzeimer's (they couldnt remember their kid's names, but they sure remembered the dog). why should i not have been allowed to keep her with me for my comfort and the comfort others without paying rediculous pet fees? as far as the bird is concerned, i was CONSIDERING registering him (if i's even possible, thats why i ASKED FOR ADVICE, NOT CRITICISM) possible as an emotional support animal for myself as that dog is no longer with me ( i have a valid doctor's recommendation/perscription to have an emotional support animal as required, i just have not acquired one for that particlar purpose yet and was considering using the rooster if its possible and able to alleviate multiple difficult [his and my own])situations. i find raising and interacting with him very soothing/calming (that's what emotional support animals are supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less, thats why the registry allows most animals with minimal requirements). i have no intent to take him anywhere, other than my home. i was asking is this is even possible as housing exemptions are usually made for them, i'm unsure if it would at all exempt him for a no-crowing ordinance.

Last edited:
there are collars that keep him from crowing but I don't know if they are humane.  What type of roo is he and where does he live?
there are collars that keep him from crowing but I don't know if they are humane.  What type of roo is he and where does he live?

i have been looking for somewhere that sells the collars with at least a week+ return policy so that i can evaluate its effectiveness and how humane it is (also if theres a danger of choking after becoming hung up on something as i've read could happen).

hes a speckled sussex, currently living near saginaw, michigan in my back yard (sometimes in a really big modified dog cage inside[with a carbon/allergen filter next to it] at night so he can crow in the morning without waking the neighbors). i'm going to start building a little rooster house for him in a week or so once i'm more sure of his future living situation. i built a nice sized coop for the rest of them along with a 4'Wx12'Lx4'T chicken tractor they hang out in while i'm finishing up the larger stationary pen that surrounds the coop. once that is finished i'll build him a little house and give him the tractor to himself, that is if i can find a way to be allowed keep him legally.

]

That is pretty much what i wanted to know about the right to farm act, that shoots that one in the foot. thanks. i had also been looking into the national service animal registry, they certify emotional support animals of any type ( https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-info.html#b7 ) but i wasn't sure if that would allow me to keep him or not. i'm not sure how effective or safe a no-crow collar is since i've seen very split/mixed reviews
The "service animal registries" are a sham and a huge $$ business. Registering an animal with them puts money in their pockets but in no way gives any animal owner legal rights. Currently, there is no state or federal requirement for an animal to be certified. It's merely a meaningless "registry". I wouldn't waste your $$ there.
I understand your dilemma, especially when you pay twice the price to avoid having an illegal roo. Once they show to be a cockerel, you can become quite attached. You didn't say what area of Mi you are in. I have lots of family bet Detroit and Lansing, Kalamazoo areas. Most are vegan or vegetarian. They go to all kinds of farmers markets, street fairs, etc. Lots of folks have pet chickens on the farms there. Could you look into those events to find a pet home? Also, if you type in Michigan in the search bar, lots of great threads come up. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Michigan Maybe you could network there? I sure hope it works out for you.

For your consideration: http://kdvr.com/2015/02/10/fake-ser...-people-behind-the-lucrative-online-business/

We have been looking at and considering different 'no-crow collars' but we unsure how safe it was and had read mixed revews. Have you tried one with any success before? I'd be curious to know if any of the different kinds work better than others, or if you might as well make your own.

There are at least two members here who have reported their roosters died while wearing no-crow collars. Be careful!

Last edited:
It is well within the right of a landlord to deny an emotional support animal if it is disruptive to other tenants. A landlord can deny an animal that is a noise nuisance. Emotional support dogs that bark too much have successfully been denied. A tenant can't deny a dog because it MIGHT bark, but if they have proof that the barking is excessive and that it disrupts the other tenants then they can legally disallow the dog. Even if you could register a rooster as an emotional support animal I would imagine the rule would still apply. An excessively crowing rooster could legally be disallowed.

This is all a moot point however because an emotional support animal is LEGALLY defined as a companion animal. Companion animal is LEGALLY defined as a domestic pet that normally resides in the home and excludes farm animals and livestock.

And BTW, the fact that your dog provided emotional support or comfort to people in nursing homes has absolutely no legal bearing on whether or not you should be exempt from housing regulations regarding pets. If she truly was a legitimate emotional support animal for you then you deserved exemptionbecause of that alone. Therapy animal status (a dog helping someone who is not a member of the household in which the animal lives) is not even considered when determining whether an animal qualifies as an emotional support animal exemption.

The "service animal registries" are a sham and a huge $$ business.  Registering an animal with them puts money in their pockets but in no way gives any animal owner legal rights. Currently, there is no state or federal requirement for an animal to be certified. It's merely a meaningless "registry".  I wouldn't waste your $$ there. 
I understand your dilemma, especially when you pay twice the price to avoid having an illegal roo. Once they show to be a cockerel, you can become quite attached. You didn't say what area of Mi you are in. I have lots of family bet Detroit and Lansing, Kalamazoo areas. Most are vegan or vegetarian. They go to all kinds of farmers markets, street fairs, etc. Lots of folks have pet chickens on the farms there. Could you look into those events to find a pet home?  Also, if you type in Michigan in the search bar, lots of great threads come up. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Michigan  Maybe you could network there? I sure hope it works out for you.

For your consideration: http://kdvr.com/2015/02/10/fake-ser...-people-behind-the-lucrative-online-business/

thats more of the type of response i was hoping for. i'm really not trying to do anything thats ethically questionable, imho. i'm just throwing out all the possible ideas we've had for the sake of our pets life, already figuring most would not work, but if one would/does i'd feel horrible if i didnt evaluate and ask for advice on all of them just to know for sure. i possibly should have chosen more word more carefully, as i said, i tend to joke about uncomfortable situtations in an attempt to make myself feel a bit better about them, i wasnt really expecting all the accusations...

The farmer's markets sound like a good idea that hadn't occured to me to ask around at. We are going to the midland county fair next week to try to find some 4-h groups or like minded people that may want to give him a good home. we'd love it if i could find a young child to love, raise, and appreciate him. there are not enough kids staying on family farms or wanting to start their own. the other half of the reason we got them (other than as an ethically treated organic protein source) was to teach my girlfriend's kids (and the ones in our neighborhood) about real food and where it comes from and the work it takes to get it, same as our large vegetable garden.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom