Rehome Rooster

I just wanted to tell you I’m having the sand issue my two cockerels are soooo sweet and friendly. To my understanding it won’t last much longer but everyone thinks I’m crazy because they are my pets and I don’t want to have them eaten :/ they aren’t crowing yet so I have a little time but I’m heartbroken and my husband is really sad too! He’s a softie lol.
I totally understand how you feel, I seem to fall in love with every male chicken I have ever met. The good ones are so charming.

Here is an article about rehoming roosters in case there are any ideas on there that you haven't tried yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/tips-for-re-homing-cockerels-and-roosters.78704/

Hope your boys find a wonderful home if they don't stay with you.

My tip for keeping roosters, either permanently or temporarily while you find them a new home is the No Crow Box.

It doesn't stop them completely, but it's a measure you can take to limit the noise early in the morning, and keep your neighbours happy.

You get a thick cardboard box big enough to fit a chicken (or more than one if you need) with plenty of headroom. You put shavings or other bedding in the bottom. About 4 inches thick. You make a hole in each side just above the bedding and push a thick stick or 1" x 2" piece of wood through. This is their perch and should stick out of each side by a few inches for stability. Above where their head sits you poke several holes each side for ventilation. The box must be able to close at the top.

At night, you grab the cockerels off their perch in the coop and pop them into the box. The box should be kept either in a garage or outbuilding or a basement, or even a room or closet in the house with no windows. Somewhere far away from your neighbours' bedroom window and where it will be very very dark.

Every morning at a decent time, say after your neighbours have left for work, you take them out of the box and return them to the flock.

You can do this indefinitely if you want to keep the roosters (so long as you aren't breaking local laws, or if you just decide to take the risk anyway). The roosters are perfectly happy with this situation. They just stay in a dark quiet 'hotel room' each night.

They may still crow in the morning inside the box but it will be much less, and the sound will be muffled by the box, the room, the building and the distance.

Of course they will crow throughout the day outdoors, but if you chat to your neighbours and tell them what measures you are taking to ensure their comfort (and sleep), then chances are they'll not complain.

Enaure there is plenty of air circulation in the box, turn the bedding every couple of days and just trash the box when it gets mucky and make a new one. Amazon boxes work well.

Contact the county extension office - they should know about poultry clubs - and those people will have ideas or possibly want him. 4-H groups are also a good place to meet people who are chicken people.

And where you buy feed, often times they will either know other people who have chickens, or have a bulletin board to post on.

Mrs K

I have s rooster that needs to go 😕. I’m struggling with how to find a good home for him vs putting him down. We bought what we thought were all female baby chocks
(from tractor supply) but one turned out to be a rooster. We’re not allowed to have a rooster in our community and he’s crowing like crazy disturbing the peace. I’ve raised him from a baby chick and love him…although I’m heartbroken about it, I know he needs to go. I don’t know what to do or how to go about it. I don’t want to give him to just anyone that will take him, I want to give him to a good home…he’s lived a very pampered life with us. The only thing that matters to me is what is best for him. Please help this is my first flock 😢
Hi. I am from Happy Hen Farm in Kenner, Louisiana. I do not know where are you located. Your best bet is to find a farm in a rural area. Please, do not dump him into a park. Lots of people do that here and is inhumane.

The reality is that most of the roosters urban or rural end in the freezer.

I am trying to find a local vet that provide the decrow surgery. The will solve the crow as the rooster end without little voice.

How do I find him a home? I don’t know where to begin. None of my friends have chickens and I don’t know anyone who would take him. Everyone is telling me “he’s just a chicken” but he’s not just a chicken to me. I love him like a pet…and he’s so smart and cute! I went online to see how to rehome and it led me to chicken forums so I’m hoping someone in this group can advise or connect me to the best option.
I’m in the same situation. I am heartbroken to let him go. But I don’t want him to be bullied. If you find a ranch that will take yours let me know. I live in Simi Valley.

Hi. I am from Happy Hen Farm in Kenner, Louisiana. I do not know where are you located. Your best bet is to find a farm in a rural area. Please, do not dump him into a park. Lots of people do that here and is inhumane.

The reality is that most of the roosters urban or rural end in the freezer.

I am trying to find a local vet that provide the decrow surgery. The will solve the crow as the rooster end without little voice.
Something I read a while ago, in a chicken magazine. The vet who was performing decrow operations and teaching other vets to do it was also selling roosters that were already decrowed.
To have the surgery done on your own bird was a couple hundred dollars and he would not guarantee the outcome.
Birds' lungs are very delicate and are different from mammal lungs and the bird can die during the operation.
Except in extreme cases it didn't seem very viable or even affordable.

We have a home rooster. He goes outside after 8am to his flock but we let him wake us up in the morning. Lol better than an alarm clock because we can’t turn him off. He crowed 11 x this morning

Back
Top Bottom