Rehome Rooster

SaltwaterChickInn

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
I have s rooster that needs to go šŸ˜•. Iā€™m struggling with how to find a good home for him vs putting him down. We bought what we thought were all female baby chocks
(from tractor supply) but one turned out to be a rooster. Weā€™re not allowed to have a rooster in our community and heā€™s crowing like crazy disturbing the peace. Iā€™ve raised him from a baby chick and love himā€¦although Iā€™m heartbroken about it, I know he needs to go. I donā€™t know what to do or how to go about it. I donā€™t want to give him to just anyone that will take him, I want to give him to a good homeā€¦heā€™s lived a very pampered life with us. The only thing that matters to me is what is best for him. Please help this is my first flock šŸ˜¢

You can also post about him on your state thread on here. What state are you in? I can help you find it if you are having a hard time.

I had great luck rehoming purebred roosters on craigslist. I also have rehomed on our local neighborhood forum. People even gave me some money for them on there. Totally worth checking out if there is one in your area.

If none of those turn up results, you should look for an animal sanctuary that keeps a bachelor flock that can adopt him. I am just waiting for my kids to get old enough so I can start one of these myself. It just needs to be community supported in some way, with a yearly fundraiser or something. I am really passionate about giving people another option than to just cull them or leave them in the woods somewhere.

Contact the county extension office - they should know about poultry clubs - and those people will have ideas or possibly want him. 4-H groups are also a good place to meet people who are chicken people.

And where you buy feed, often times they will either know other people who have chickens, or have a bulletin board to post on.

Mrs K

Have you looked into no crow collars? We are having a similar issue, and are also new backyard chicken keepers. Iā€™m hoping maybe one of the no crow collars will work for our two probable roosters in our flock. One of the likely roosters is really my baby and also my favorite. He is also very smart, and will come to me when I call for him and hop into my hands. All of our chickens are pets and part of our family now, so I think I understand how you feel as well.
I hope it all works out for you! Your rooster looks and sounds very sweet! :)
Do you know that no crow collars have caused the death of a fair few roosters?
They can easily choke, either from the collar not being fitted properly, or even if it is they can still choke on a piece of food.
I hope something will work for you, but the no crow collars are not something I would like to put a rooster though.

I think you'll be able to find him a good home. Just specify you don't want him eaten
How do I find him a home? I donā€™t know where to begin. None of my friends have chickens and I donā€™t know anyone who would take him. Everyone is telling me ā€œheā€™s just a chickenā€ but heā€™s not just a chicken to me. I love him like a petā€¦and heā€™s so smart and cute! I went online to see how to rehome and it led me to chicken forums so Iā€™m hoping someone in this group can advise or connect me to the best option.

There are a lot of folks from Texas on here, maybe they will have some state specific ideas. Here is the Texas thread you can post on about him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.44/

If that doesn't get the response you need I would start a thread with the title "need to rehome good rooster in texas near houston" or something similar to that. I am hoping that someone on here knows of a good home for him.

Have you looked into no crow collars? We are having a similar issue, and are also new backyard chicken keepers. Iā€™m hoping maybe one of the no crow collars will work for our two probable roosters in our flock. One of the likely roosters is really my baby and also my favorite. He is also very smart, and will come to me when I call for him and hop into my hands. All of our chickens are pets and part of our family now, so I think I understand how you feel as well.
I hope it all works out for you! Your rooster looks and sounds very sweet! :)

Back
Top Bottom