Rehome Rooster

May 22, 2023
I have s rooster that needs to go šŸ˜•. Iā€™m struggling with how to find a good home for him vs putting him down. We bought what we thought were all female baby chocks
(from tractor supply) but one turned out to be a rooster. Weā€™re not allowed to have a rooster in our community and heā€™s crowing like crazy disturbing the peace. Iā€™ve raised him from a baby chick and love himā€¦although Iā€™m heartbroken about it, I know he needs to go. I donā€™t know what to do or how to go about it. I donā€™t want to give him to just anyone that will take him, I want to give him to a good homeā€¦heā€™s lived a very pampered life with us. The only thing that matters to me is what is best for him. Please help this is my first flock šŸ˜¢

What breed is he? If he's a good mannered cockerel it's totally possible to find a good home for him
Heā€™s a Delawareā€¦sweet as he can be.

Attachments

• 367428CB-999C-4829-AA31-545097DA14EB.jpeg
    367428CB-999C-4829-AA31-545097DA14EB.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 47
I think you'll be able to find him a good home. Just specify you don't want him eaten
How do I find him a home? I donā€™t know where to begin. None of my friends have chickens and I donā€™t know anyone who would take him. Everyone is telling me ā€œheā€™s just a chickenā€ but heā€™s not just a chicken to me. I love him like a petā€¦and heā€™s so smart and cute! I went online to see how to rehome and it led me to chicken forums so Iā€™m hoping someone in this group can advise or connect me to the best option.

You can also post about him on your state thread on here. What state are you in? I can help you find it if you are having a hard time.

I had great luck rehoming purebred roosters on craigslist. I also have rehomed on our local neighborhood forum. People even gave me some money for them on there. Totally worth checking out if there is one in your area.

If none of those turn up results, you should look for an animal sanctuary that keeps a bachelor flock that can adopt him. I am just waiting for my kids to get old enough so I can start one of these myself. It just needs to be community supported in some way, with a yearly fundraiser or something. I am really passionate about giving people another option than to just cull them or leave them in the woods somewhere.

You can also post about him on your state thread on here. What state are you in? I can help you find it if you are having a hard time.

I had great luck rehoming purebred roosters on craigslist. I also have rehomed on our local neighborhood forum. People even gave me some money for them on there. Totally worth checking out if there is one in your area.

If none of those turn up results, you should look for an animal sanctuary that keeps a bachelor flock that can adopt him. I am just waiting for my kids to get old enough so I can start one of these myself. It just needs to be community supported in some way, with a yearly fundraiser or something. I am really passionate about giving people another option than to just cull them or leave them in the woods somewhere.
Iā€™m in Texas.. we live in the bay near Galveston. Our community is a canal waterfront bay area. Weā€™re allowed a small number of hens. Heā€™s a pampered Rooster used to all the amenities we can provide. Thank you so much for helping meā€¦I donā€™t want to cull him as he is only doing what is in his nature to crow. I will look into the options you mentioned. Appreciate the advise so much! Iā€™ve been so heartbroken but now thereā€™s hope.

There is the buy, sell, trade section of the forum you can take a look at. You can also try Facebook or Craigslist. Alternatively, you might be able to sell him at a local auction
Thank you Thank you so much for the info.

Back
Top Bottom