Anyone out there work from home?

HollyTree

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Little Rock, Arkansas
I sure would like to work from home. I don't have any degree. I thought about chicken farming large scale, but hubby said no.
I'm 35, mom to a four year old. I have 12 acres paid for. I'm pretty good with a computer. My problem is I work for the hospital so I'm the one who carries all the health insuranace & dental.
Husband is self employed, so, no coverage from him. I make about 28,000 a year. So what could I do that would make enough money to have a decent salary & pay health care & be at home?

What do you do at the hospital? I believe something like billing and coding could be an at-home job. I'm not sure how much that pays though.

Have you thought about going back to school? There are tons of online colleges that can be covered by financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
smile.png
You could get a degree and do whatever you want
smile.png
I don't think chicken farming is really that profitable. It would have to be on a huge scale to do any good.

I train horses. I sew and sell things. I make hair bows. I sell things my DH makes. I sell chicken eggs. I sell driftwood and artifacts that we find on outings. I sell plants. I sell feathers from my macaws......things like that that make extra money for my critter habit
tongue.png

You can do medical billing from home, but you need to find the right place that will allow you do to that. Have you considered talking to your boss at the hospital about it? Or better yet, research it first and then present it to your boss. It's attractive to some places because it saves them money.

I know someone who works for a bank from home, full time. He makes good money too. But I'm not sure exactly what he does and what the qualifications are. I'd stick to what you know.

You could even open up your own billing service for doctors offices. You could also manage an answering service for doctors or anyone who gets put on call and uses and answering service. The problem with that is that you'd have to buy your own insurance.

You could also do both. You could maintain enough hours at the hospital just to get insurance and to the rest at home independently.

I do medical billing for our private practice at home. The office is in NYC and I am back home here in the country in PA.

It's ok, but I miss the office banter, so I fill my void with message boards, cats, dogs and now chickens..... and I JUST KNOW I AM GONNA END UP WITH DUCKS! I just know it.

What about working part-time to keep your medical insurance?

I worked part-time at a State job for a year and LOVED it. I had the same medical benefits as a full timer and my hours were 6am-10am.

That would still leave you time to do something from home.

I work from home. Basically, I have three part-time jobs. I teach college, do consulting & manage real estate. I love the flexibilty and, oh, I HATE the flexibility.
wink.png
It is very easy to get sucked into some meaningless task or spend too much time on BYC, then I am playing catch up. One needs a high degree of organization and self-discipline to make it work. It is really easy for me to lose most of a work day - playing with chickens, walking the dog, doing laundry, watching Foodnetwork, pulling weeds...

Quote:
I work from home, and I teach college too!

I also work part time for the state so I get full benefits. That job has me travel every now and then, but only on day trips, otherwise they never even see me.

My third job is my homeschool curriculum website. All together I make pretty good money, but I work a lot more hours than one "normal" job using my graduate degree would require.

Good ideas, thank ya to all. I obtain medical records for the hospital. Ya know, I guess I never thought about going part time, I'm not sure if my job could compress into part time, but your on to something. Sometimes I get caught up in "all or none" thinking.
I do understand medical billing, so that just may be an avenue.

Back
Top Bottom