Anyone own an "Eglu" chicken coop/run? Thoughts?!

They're wonderful! Easy to clean, low maintenance, and, as long as you close the "pod" door at night, very predator resistant! I highly recommend them!
thumbsup.gif

My neighbor has one for 3 hens, but I believe it cost like $600 with freight. You could build a MUCH more functonal and secure coop for that.
But to be fair, they have made it through 2 winters and she has not lost a chicken (she does have it inside a dog run with a tarp over it, the run that comes with it was a joke)

I wonder how an Eglu works in the heat of summer. I use plastic nestboxes with open fronts, and I've already found them getting too hot. It helps to take off the lid, but you can't do that with the Eglu.

When I looked at them, they just didn't seem well designed for the needs of a chicken. Too small, no place high for the birds to roost, etc. The dimensions of the standard Eglu are only 4 square feet, right? That's only good for one bird, not the 2-4 chickens they claim. It might make a good nestbox, though. Kinda pricy for that!

I've been given 2 eglus that were damaged and tossed by their owners. One took flight during a windstorm and the hens inside were injured. The other was damaged by a large dog, the hends did not survive. Neither of them had the runs survive. I rehabbed and extensively modified them and a friend uses them for broody hens. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one. For the $600+ they charge you could get a really really nice wooden one built for you.

We have an Eglu Cube and really like it. With a racoon in the neighborhood I was worried about security but pulling the roost door closed in the evening and shutting the gate to the pen gives me real peace of mind. Very easy to clean out (we use shredded newspaper to line the roost and nest box; hose off all the parts). That said, we have four layers and it would seem cramped if they couldn't free range. Not that the girls are complaining. They use the Eglu during the day for feed and water and for laying, then climb the ladder at dusk to roost. The rest of the day they are in the yard and garden. Tucson has really hot summers, as you can imagine, and they were fine last year. Ease of cleaning is big for us, as is that handy side door for access to the nest box. We are very happy with it for our little urban farm.

Last edited:
I'm new and I've got an Eglu Classic.

The Eglu Classic and the run are on my back deck. I don't have a yard.

Seems to work out ok so far.

actually owning an egglue and some similar priced coops from China I would say the eggloo is a much better deal, it will last forever will not need to be sealed and is easy to clean. Coons can and will reach through the run so you must put in the poid part at night.

Back
Top Bottom