Anyone set with me this weekend? Set 28 October - Hatching 18 November

So my set is doing really well! It looks like all but 2/3 Domiques are developing (hard to tell on the third because it is darker than the others) and 3/3 of the Buff Opington. As expected, it doesn't look like any of the 24 (possible chicken pheasant cross from my backyard) are developing but I am giving it a few more days before I throw them out.

I set 24 more on the 30th, and all of those are looking really well.

My cockerel really likes my Cochin but she has THEE biggest butt fluff ever! He is only half her size so he's usually falling off the side of her,
lau.gif
. He mates easily with my EE though, she's small and slender like a game hen or something.

its a week today i set eggs on 29-oct, i just candled, 11 eggs are fertile and can see veins in that :)

wow, well good luck guys! If I don't get anything again I am just going to wait a few more weeks as my flock is still pretty young and I'm going to ask my hubby for an incubator for Christmas.

I think i may have a few quitters in my bunc, but it's hard to tell. I really hate the idea of throwing them out when I'm not sure, but I also hate the idea of the potential to contaminate my bunch if one were to burst. How common is it for a rotten egg to explode???

I think i may have a few quitters in my bunc, but it's hard to tell. I really hate the idea of throwing them out when I'm not sure, but I also hate the idea of the potential to contaminate my bunch if one were to burst. How common is it for a rotten egg to explode???

It's really not that common for a rotten egg to explode unless it's not being 'supervised'. When incubated eggs are rotten they will usually 'weep' first (it looks a lot like tree sap). Then they'll start smelling rotten (it's a very clear sulphury "rotten egg" smell). Unless they start weeping or smelling funny I would just leave them in there. I almost killed a chick just last month because I thought it was a quitter and it wasn't. You really never know, the little buggers aren't all the same and sometimes they "hide out" in the middle where it's hard to see them. Additionally, I've had at least three situations that looked like blood rings but were not. Soo, now I just leave the eggs in the bator unless they start showing obvious signs of being rotten.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom