anyone use a Brinsea Mini Advance fully digital 7 egg incubator?

A little earlier than expected... 3 eggs have pipped about an hour ago. This follows on from the automated turning stopping about 24 hrs ago.

In final prep for the hatch I've removed the internal rotating disc that has cradled the eggs for the last few weeks and sat them on a little custom made insert - a washable rubber disc. I was concerned that the (highly polished) abs plastic of the brinsea insert would scratch under chick-toes and busted eggshell.

Quote:
Yes, that sounds great for giving chicks a good grip with their feet too, from what I've read a slippery surface can cause problems and exacerbate spraddle leg!

How exciting! Hope that hatch goes well and congratulations!

All six pipped now after 12 hours and beaks popping through a few shells. Here's a snap that illustrates the hatching mat I've made
3765659072_033b71f0f6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is great to see! I have the same incubator and this is my first hatch. It seems so simple, you wonder if it is working, lol.

Congrats! Can't wait to see the babies when they get out!

Quote:
No, not at all but there are a couple of things to think about. You'd be opening the lid however many times a day on the eco and that'll bring with it the temperature and humidity fluctuations that you wouldn't get with the advance. This might not necessarily impact your hatch of course but it could be a factor.

The automated turn is consistent of course so you can program the turn interval and the turn angle and keep that consistent right the way through the incubation period. You'd have to be particularly dedicated (tipping over into irrationally obsessive!) to achieve this manually.

Upside is you've got the chance to squeeze in more eggs.

Quote:
I have the Octagon without the turner and turning is not a problem at all. I'm on day 13 of my first hatch and I've only opened the bator 3 times total... twice to add water and once to candle. I have 14 BBS Ameraucana (shipped) eggs in right now. 9 looked promising on day 7. We'll see how the Octagon does after it finishes this hatch. So far, I would buy anything that said Brinsea. I looked at the Mini Advance, but wanted more egg space
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom