anyone use a Brinsea Mini Advance fully digital 7 egg incubator?

Thanks, NashChic! I was wavering on what to get, but you've helped me make up my mind. Now I have to save some $ LOL.

BTW, how big is the Octagon20?
And how big is the Mini Advance?

Space is a consideration, too. Like, does the O20 come in a box too big to hide from DH for a while?
gig.gif

Last edited:
First hatch came earlier this evening
3766653724_2837bda8d7.jpg

We've since had another, third egg is zipping. All remaining eggs have active live chicks that have pipped and are just waiting their turn it seems.

I'm keeping a blog entry updated as the hatch progresses http://bellebouche.com/blog/?p=1126 and there are more photos there. I also managed to shoot a cool 30 minute timelapse of the first egg zipping and hatching. It's quite charming - I'll post the youtube link on that page in the next day or so.

That is a great pic! I love how the mini advance gives such a great view of the inside.

Quote:
The box the Octa20 came in was about 18"long x 12"tall x 12"deep. Definitely small enough to shove in a closet or under a beg
wink.png

Quote:
Yeah - that is good and you do have unrivalled visibility of the eggs as they pip'n'zip - that all changes just as soon as a chick hatches and the humidity goes into sauna territory.

3768369284_8eb66c8f8d.jpg

... which brings me to a serious point. I had two (of 7) birds hatched at that point. As the rest hatched the humidity level was poaching the contents. There's no mechanism to vent off any excess moisture after a completed hatch or whilst it's underway - I decided to wedge a small cotton-bud under the rim at one point and this helped substantially. It's something of a design flaw I'd say as some kind of adjustable vent in the top of the unit would help take care of this.

Quote:
The box the Octa20 came in was about 18"long x 12"tall x 12"deep. Definitely small enough to shove in a closet or under a beg
wink.png

Oh, I am sooo gonna get in trouble soon
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

belle, sorry about the sauna effect. Maybe a very fine drill and a hole you can plug?

Finally, our first hatch is all done and the blog post updated .

3772828638_746bcc8311.jpg

I'm rather pleased at the 100% hatch - all present and accounted for this afternoon so it's been fun. I'll pull together a little page with a more in-depth review of the incubator.

I did mention that I'd made a short time lapse video of the first chick hatching.. that's up on Youtube now if you'd like a look

Next set of eggs go in on August 12th for an early September hatch.

Back
Top Bottom