Anyone use Koop Clean?

Pics
I disagree. I keep horses, too, and I use pine pellets along with pine shavings and also, straw. We live in a damp climate and pine pellets can stay until they've soaked up humidity/animal waste twice. The first time they turn to a dry powder, and I only remove them when the powder becomes wet. The package recommends that you wet them down, but that's so that they don't last as long and you will buy more. I use "Equine Fresh". There are several products with different names, and I can buy this at 40 lbs for ~$5/package. Other products at different stores cost more. SHOP AROUND.
Horses produce a LOT more liquid waste than chickens do. I use a shovel to scrape it up. I am very fussy about not removing good pellets. I put one bag of pellets in my small coop a month ago about their (removable) roost, and I haven't had to replace it. When I get my full sized coop next year I plan to bed the bottom with pellets and cover with shavings. When the chicken poo is frozen it is super easy to remove and that's when I clean the coop in the winter.
Something else to consider at the bottom of your coop is rubber stall mats. My little ~ 4 x 4 coop is built on a wooden pallet. I cut an old 1/4" thick rubber mat to fit. It is a great insulator. I plan to floor my new coop with those, too, for the winter. To clean after my horses, who are not stalled in the summer, I pull them out in front of the barn and let the weather disinfect them. They are not slick like vinyl flooring, but I may put THAT in, too, just to protect the floor.

Last edited:
I love stall mats - use them all over the place!

**Warning** Off topic re chickens: our horses are not stalled, they have two large run-ins (16 x 24), leveled and with stall mats. For years I kept pelleted bedding or shavings. During an injury rehab when we had to confine one of the horses, we stripped the bedding. Best thing we've ever done!! We scoop the manure, and if they have opted to pee in the run-in, we sprinkle pellets to absorb any puddle and then remove it. I cannot believe the reduction in work, everything stays cleaner, nothing smells. I would NEVER have believed this would work if someone had told me about it. And, it might not work if your horses are locked into stalls.

I disagree. I keep horses, too, and I use pine pellets along with pine shavings and also, straw. We live in a damp climate and pine pellets can stay until they've soaked up humidity/animal waste twice. The first time they turn to a dry powder, and I only remove them when the powder becomes wet. The package recommends that you wet them down, but that's so that they don't last as long and you will buy more. I use "Equine Fresh". There are several products with different names, and I can buy this at 40 lbs for ~$5/package. Other products at different stores cost more. SHOP AROUND.
Horses produce a LOT more liquid waste than chickens do. I use a shovel to scrape it up. I am very fussy about not removing good pellets. I put one bag of pellets in my small coop a month ago about their (removable) roost, and I haven't had to replace it. When I get my full sized coop next year I plan to bed the bottom with pellets and cover with shavings. When the chicken poo is frozen it is super easy to remove and that's when I clean the coop in the winter.
Something else to consider at the bottom of your coop is rubber stall mats. My little ~ 4 x 4 coop is built on a wooden pallet. I cut an old 1/4" thick rubber mat to fit. It is a great insulator. I plan to floor my new coop with those, too, for the winter. To clean after my horses, who are not stalled in the summer, I pull them out in front of the barn and let the weather disinfect them. They are not slick like vinyl flooring, but I may put THAT in, too, just to protect the floor.

I agree equine pellets are cheap & they work. The stall mats are a great idea, but wouldn't work well in my coop. It's too low to the ground to make pulling out mats any easier. I don't remove anything but a few spots for 6+ months in my coop. I just put more stuff in & clean out twice a year. The pellets are also better than chips for composting or putting right on the field. I've always used Sweet PDZ in the winter under the roosts, but the combined Koop Klean product just makes everything easier. Just have to decide if I can justify the cost. It definitely doesn't mat down under the roosts like chips or pellets.

I live in South Texas and it is VERY VERY humid and hot in the summer. Last year we installed small air conditioners in our 3 coops because I was so worried about my hens getting heat stroke (I have thermometers in the coops and they read 105F) Fans didn't make the cut because even though they blow air, the temps didn't come down. Laying is in the morning mostly but I have some hens that lay late and also the usual broodies that stay in the nesting boxes for several days. My coops floors have sand which I love because it is easy to clean, however I found out that the dust is terrible for the A/Cs. I added an extra filter to help but my darlings decided to dust bathe in the coop's sand instead of their dust box outside in the run (I guess they liked the cool coop way too much) Obviously this didn't help with my A/C problem.
This summer I am planning to get the sand out of the coops and put Koop Clean instead, I believe for what I have read in this thread that dust will be minimized a lo compared to sand, I also have roosting boxes so the clean up on the floors will be easy.

I live in South Texas and it is VERY VERY humid and hot in the summer. Last year we installed small air conditioners in our 3 coops because I was so worried about my hens getting heat stroke (I have thermometers in the coops and they read 105F) Fans didn't make the cut because even though they blow air, the temps didn't come down. Laying is in the morning mostly but I have some hens that lay late and also the usual broodies that stay in the nesting boxes for several days. My coops floors have sand which I love because it is easy to clean, however I found out that the dust is terrible for the A/Cs. I added an extra filter to help but my darlings decided to dust bathe in the coop's sand instead of their dust box outside in the run (I guess they liked the cool coop way too much) Obviously this didn't help with my A/C problem. 
This summer I am planning to get the sand out of the coops and put Koop Clean instead, I believe for what I have read in this thread that dust will be minimized a lo compared to sand, I also have roosting boxes so the clean up on the floors will be easy.
There is virtually no dust. Even during the time that you take to wipe down your coop, there is no dust. Not trying to change your mind, but hemp bedding is also nice for humid areas, and for someone that wants a dust free coop. The company wants everyone to do the deep litter method, but it is not necessary. Just like the Koop Clean, use it how you prefer. Glad you did your homework. Best wishes with such a great product.

I just picked up 8 packs of Koop Clean! Getting ready for new chicks and spring cleaning. I also have 3 packs of hemp bedding (30 lbs). I am so excited. I love this stuff!

Last edited:
I did get 8 packs myself, I had to drive 41 miles one way to get them. I am planing to do the switch from sand to Koop clean in my coops this weekend. Also I will have some in my brooder next month when my chicks arrive.

I love Koop Clean. It smells great and stays dry. No issues. No complaints. Mine is mixed with sand, straw, hay and leaves at the moment. Still no complaints.

Thatfarmerchick, where do you get your hemp bedding? Any particular brand? I am interested in looking into it
I use American Hemp brand. If you are in NC it is cheaper. I get mine from Countryside Organics in VA. I am an MDer and this is the closest place to me.They finally have are in a video on YouTube with Carolina Coops. The company is a small, family owned business. It is run by two friendly brothers that will answer all of your questions if you contact them.

Back
Top Bottom