Anyone use Koop Clean?

Pics
I use HiFiber Gold from Lucerne the same company that sells Koop Clean. It is less expensive. I add some PDZ which absorbs the ammonia. I also use PDZ in my poop trays under the roosts, which i scoop daily. The HiFiber Gold lasts a year. In September each year I do a complete coop cleanout. I have builders sand in my runs that I clean once a week. My coops have no smell and the HiFiber Gold has eliminated bumblefoot among my birds. As far as I can tell Koop Clean is just HiFiber Gold with PDZ mixed in. The HiFiber Gold is a chopped hay horse forage that is heat dried to kill any mold. The chickens pick through it and eat the seed heads. It will last for a year and slowly breaks down so that when I shovel it out into my compost heap it composts well. The PDZ keeps the fly population in my coop down to almost 0. It also keeps my compost free of flies. Great product.
:D. :weee. :ya

I use HiFiber Gold from Lucerne the same company that sells Koop Clean. It is less expensive. I add some PDZ which absorbs the ammonia. I also use PDZ in my poop trays under the roosts, which i scoop daily. The HiFiber Gold lasts a year. In September each year I do a complete coop cleanout. I have builders sand in my runs that I clean once a week. My coops have no smell and the HiFiber Gold has eliminated bumblefoot among my birds. As far as I can tell Koop Clean is just HiFiber Gold with PDZ mixed in. The HiFiber Gold is a chopped hay horse forage that is heat dried to kill any mold. The chickens pick through it and eat the seed heads. It will last for a year and slowly breaks down so that when I shovel it out into my compost heap it composts well. The PDZ keeps the fly population in my coop down to almost 0. It also keeps my compost free of flies. Great product.
big_smile.png
wee.gif
ya.gif
Also, in addition to the nest box question, when you say you 'clean the runs once a week', does that mean a good raking and scooping? Or something else?

I started using it thinking the dust level would be less than shavings,not so its worse.I will keep using it for a year as I do the deep litter method just to see if it keeps the smell down
Personally, I am in love with hemp bedding. KC does great, but I compared hemp and KC in two brooders atthe same time. One brooder had much more dust and smelled. The other brooder had no odor and not any dust. the perfect brooder had hemp inside. Both do much better than shavings. KC is local and hemp is not. Plus it gets costly. KC is what I use,but hemp has my heart.

Bought a bag this week. Can't say the girls preferred it over pine shavings. It is better at drying out poop and therefore odor control, but considering the cost difference it will be the last time we buy it. Buying cheaper bedding material means we can replace it more often.

I'm new to chickens. My babies that I hatched are in the brooder now. I bought the large formax snap & lock coop. It has a plastic bottom. I've read that if you use pine shavings throughout the birds get confused and lay not only in the nest boxes but on the floor as well. So I was planning on using pine shavings in the nest boxes and sand on the floor. But then I read about this stuff. I asked at my local feed store and they said they can order it for $16. Sounds about the average price. Do you think if I used pine in the nest boxes and Klean coop on the floor they will keep the eggs in the boxes? Also what are poop boards? Thanks!

I'm new to chickens. My babies that I hatched are in the brooder now. I bought the large formax snap & lock coop. It has a plastic bottom. I've read that if you use pine shavings throughout the birds get confused and lay not only in the nest boxes but on the floor as well. So I was planning on using pine shavings in the nest boxes and sand on the floor. But then I read about this stuff. I asked at my local feed store and they said they can order it for $16. Sounds about the average price. Do you think if I used pine in the nest boxes and Klean coop on the floor they will keep the eggs in the boxes? Also what are poop boards? Thanks!
I am not so sure about the other questions. I kind of expect chickens to lay in the nest boxes, if they are presented with the opportunity to do so before the first egg. I can answer the Dropping Board question. It is a flat piece of something that you can slide easily under and from under the roost. It should be easy to scrape poo and easy be able to be rinsed. It is under the roost area(s) because the chickens will drop there more than anywhere. It helps your litter last and keeps down the humidity inside of the coop. No matter what litter you use, you will love your dropping boards.

We are raising our first batch of chicks ever. My husband was totally against having them in the house, he had heard they smell horribly and they are noisy. This mother hen was NOT going to put them in the garage, so I did a little research in backyard chickens and found a thread on Koop Clean. So I thought I'd try it to appease one of his concerns. This stuff is amazing!! The only smell ever is a fresh cecal that hadn't been covered yet. Otherwise no smell at all!!! Also very little dust created. And my girls are pretty happy and peep contentedly. The birds outside are louder. Win-Win!! I probably won't use it outside for the hens, but in the house it is perfect for the brooder. Love it
1f423.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom