Anything to prevent Pasty butt

I lost 3 to it at 3 days old. I've put a sliver of apple cider vinegar in their water every time and DON'T USE COLD WATER. Room temper. Never had another case 2 weeks later

I think mine was caused from cold water. All of the 3 I lost were a free hybrid bird from the place I bought from. One red crested had started to get it. I cleaned him put on Corona on his bumper and started using warmer water and act. He made it

Since all the other chicks are fine,
I'd say it's those 2 chicks that have a funky digestive system, rather than an environmental or feed issue.
Could be genetic or a hatching issue...especially since it's only one ones of that breed.

80 is pretty warm, I'd turn that heater down, 4 day olds can handle cooler temps than that.
Pasty butt is one of the most common overheating issues.
A spot of vinegar in water might help...or a plug of sod from yard.
Something to bump the digestive system.
Definitely very lightly oil the down around their vents to reduce sticking.

We brought home some crested polish chicks last saturday, who had it bad when we got them.
I keep apple cider vinegar in their water. I had to clean them up threw times the following day and they have been fine ever since .
I dont usually have any problems after they get the apple cider vinegar in their water.
And have a few friends who do the same thing and it works for them too

Fermented feed, and give them a plug of sod from your yard: soil side up. ACV is fine for chicks on regular feed, but if you use FF, skip the ACV. Also a bit of vaseline, or any kind of oil as previously mentioned. IMO, temp being off either way can cause PB.

How much ACV would you put into a quart size waterer? I'm using regular organic chick starter, not fermented not medicated. Just plain water. I'm wondering if a little ACV in the waterer would be beneficial, but I'm unsure of how to do it.

I lost one chick today, maybe to slight pasty butt, maybe not. It was hard to tell, the vent itself looked clear or just slightly occluded. Another chick got cleaned up but I'm hoping this isn't the start of a pasty butt episode.
thank you in advance!

I have two amber kinks about 4 days old with pasty butt. Tractor supply, Where I got them say it's normal, though i know they werent vaccinated And they have this mucous poop as well. I've started ACV in their water along with probioticd, and a farm vet told me electrolytes. I am scared that this could be something more. Anyone have the pasty butt with a mucous stool

I have two amber kinks about 4 days old with pasty butt. Tractor supply, Where I got them say it's normal, though i know they werent vaccinated And they have this mucous poop as well. I've started ACV in their water along with probioticd, and a farm vet told me electrolytes. I am scared that this could be something more. Anyone have the pasty butt with a mucous stool

Hmmm...I had some mucous-y stool too, but I don't know if it was from the chick that had a tad of pasty butt or not. I cleaned her up last night and the vent was clear but she did have some crusties below the vent that I cleaned up. I'm also curious if anyone has any insight into the mucous now that you mention it.

Back
Top Bottom