Appenzeller Barthuhner Thread!

just got 6 eggs to hatch of these beautiful birds!! can't wait to see what they are going to be like. I bought them from a lady that got hers two years ago (2012) from Greenfire Farms and she's been breeding her own.

If anyone on here still had theirs or can offer words of wisdom about the breed, i'd really appreciate it. was wondering about their temperament...flighty or not and other things. from what i've read, they seem to be great birds for something different and lay great thru the winter months.

Awesome breed. Friendly. Cream eggs are norm but two of my hens lay brite white. All year long. Looking for anyone who has xtra large bearded males/ extreme pronounced beard on females. Thoughts on the meat of this bird from anyone. Curious to see what others opinions are like my own. Also any legit historical info in books etc

Awesome breed. Friendly. Cream eggs are norm but two of my hens lay brite white. All year long. Looking for anyone who has xtra large bearded males/ extreme pronounced beard on females. Thoughts on the meat of this bird from anyone. Curious to see what others opinions are like my own. Also any legit historical info in books etc
thanks for the info...we are a week out from hatch and i'm DYING to see them!! I'm just a little impatient...lol!!

Will the blue legs be noticeable at hatch or will it take a month or more to see how bright they will be after losing fluff and getting their first feathers?

I'm worried to death about crossed beaks...
fl.gif

Legs do not start out blued. Anyone getting cross beaks should cull and isolate hens to cull the hen that layed it. Labeled and monitored responsible breeding for the Bart's. Please.

Last edited:
Legs do not start out blued. Anyone getting cross beaks should cull and isolate hens to cull the hen that layed it. Labeled and monitored responsible breeding for the Bart's. Please.
thanks for the info about the legs. I didn't even notice the color of the legs until you mentioned it. I was busy looking for signs of illness when i was looking at the legs. i did contacted the breeder and she sent me pics of the parent stock that i looked at when i picked up the eggs and they have blue legs and i was surprised how dainty the hens legs were.

since i got these from a breeder, i will cull any that have cross beaks. I'd read somewhere that someone was having trouble with that in their flock. I was just hoping that it wasn't a common genetic issue of the breed. None of the parent birds had cross beaks. i agree...responsible breeding is the least we could do for this beautiful breed!!

Last edited:
Here are some pics from our Barthuhner flock. The Rooster below is just a few months old. He is part of a second generation flock we have growing out. The hen below is one of our older hens from greenfire that have been laying about a year now.

Hi, my name is Tina and I am raising partridge Appenzeller Barthuhners. I purchased the original imported stock from GFF last fall which consisted of a German group and a Belgium group. Additionally, I purchased a pair from a person who had gotten chicks from GFF early last year. Since GFF used straight line breeding and encountered issues with cross beak I decided to switch the roosters and have not had any issues with cross beak so far. If you are still looking for stock, I have an array of chicks and juveniles available. I am located in Alabama and I am NPIP certified so I can ship if necessary. I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your time :)

Hi Tina, I would be interested in purchasing eggs from you. I would like to wait until the fall though because of the high heat in Texas. Please pm me when you have a chance with prices. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom