Appenzeller Spitzhauben

For those of you who raise Spitzhaubens, do they have the knob on their skulls like Polish? If you don't know what I am referring to look at the figure in the APA standard. In my 2001 standard it is figure 22 on pg. 18. Unfortunately I do not have any Spitzhaubens to examine.

For those of you who raise Spitzhaubens, do they have the knob on their skulls like Polish? If you don't know what I am referring to look at the figure in the APA standard. In my 2001 standard it is figure 22 on pg. 18. Unfortunately I do not have any Spitzhaubens to examine.

They should not have a vaulted skull if that's what ur referring to. Here's a pic of some day old spitz chicks.

As u can see, their fluff does stand up a bit on their heads, but they don't have a large bump like polish. Is that what u were asking?

I did not see a vaulted skull. They do have a very unique shaped beak. Here are 2 of my Sptzs at 2 days old.

The "Spitz" comes later.
1 week

2 weeks

Their crests look well formed/shaped so far Faraday40. Where did you get them from?
Thanks. I wish I knew exactly where they came from. All I know is the eggs came from MO. I tried hatching shipped eggs 2x last year & got ZERO, so I'm simply excited to finally get a Spitz. Not sure what to do with the males.

Sweet Coastal: I've seen that photo before as well. Although he has a beautiful tail, wouldn't that be considered a squirrel tail? I've only been breeding Spitz for a few years but I've culled for a tail on that angle. Would like to hear opinions of any of you that are experienced with this. Maybe I'm on the wrong track but I formed my opinion after reading the SOP from the UK.

I'm also breeding for a smaller, forward leaning crest. I've read they should not have a "Polish like" crest. I'd love to have opinions on both of these traits.
Thanks,
Cheryl (mostly a lurker)

Sweet Coastal: I've seen that photo before as well. Although he has a beautiful tail, wouldn't that be considered a squirrel tail? I've only been breeding Spitz for a few years but I've culled for a tail on that angle. Would like to hear opinions of any of you that are experienced with this. Maybe I'm on the wrong track but I formed my opinion after reading the SOP from the UK. I'm also breeding for a smaller, forward leaning crest. I've read they should not have a "Polish like" crest. I'd love to have opinions on both of these traits. Thanks, Cheryl (mostly a lurker)
Ugh, squirrel tail. It is an issue with many of the silver spitzes in this country. And for those who show, it's a disqualification. It's a tough one to breed for too bc juvies will sometimes grow in a nice tail angle their first year and then it goes squirrelly their second year. Some really nice looking silver spitz out there with squirrel tail. Even when u look at GFF spitz pics, notice none of them show a side view of a spitz rooster. Their birds are stunning, but tail angle is an issue there too. Several major spitz breeders in this country are focused on tail angle right now. Keep up the good work. Your boy has very nice spangling btw. :)

This illustration has greatly influenced my thoughts on Spitzhauben type. I am not sure of the source, although I think it may be from a European standard.

Last edited:
Wow! Now that's more like it. Thank you for posting this, It will be very helpful when it comes time to choose breeders. I've printed it to hang in my coop so I'm constantly reminded what I'm working towards.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom