Apple Cider Vinegar for Chicks?

Man, so my cheapo 99 cent bottle from Weis isn't doing as much as I thought & I've been giving my chicks a tb of it since day one (still no pasty butts, though). Oh well, learn something new everyday...

I give it to my chicks instead of medicated feed and I think it helps kill the bad bacteria that kills them. I also take it myself (a tablespoon in a tall glass of water) and it sweetens the water a bit. Lost ten pounds within a month or so. I think it cleans your system and makes you more efficient. I swear by it.

on a side note, if you're begining to drink ACV for yourself, you may want to start out small.. though all organics claim to be 5%, some are more acidic than others! i bought my first bottle yesterday, and currently am drinking it with white grape juice(can barely taste the vinegar).. but it gives me such awful heartburn

Thats wierd, When I get hartburn or acid reflux in the middle of the night, I get up and take a big swig of ACV and all is well with the world and back to sleep I go.

I will be hatching some chicks in the coming weeks. I have been giving my hens ACV in their water for quite a while. I was wondering at what age could you start giving chicks ACV. I would think you could start at an early age, but with a lesser amount than a full size chicken.

Any suggestions or expiriences would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I think so, I give it to my chicks to keep them from dying from that disease they get when they are chicks. I seems to help. I use a couple of tablespoons to a gallon waterer. Drink a tablespoon per glass of water for a while and you'll think you found the fountain of youth. Seriously, I will keep the yuck out of your intestines just as it does the waterers.

Last edited:
I beg to differ...though the UP is much better, by all means, regular store bought has great benefits as well. Not all vitamins and minerals are killed by heat or none of our foods would ever provide any nutrients. What is killed is the cultured organisms, what we call probiotics....though I have bought store vinegar that eventually formed a mother. Not the norm, but it happens.

Also keep in mind that unpastuerized does NOT mean organic, it merely means that the vinegar has not been pastuerized. Organic would be derived from apples grown and processed organically.
Right, but if you have the option, why would you not get organic? You are correct though. It's the enzymes that are killed by pasteurization, not all of the vitamins and minerals. The same goes for milk. But again, if you have the option, why not go with the healthier version?

The most recent issue of Hobby farms chicken edition speak of adding ACV to the chickens water. I have braggs here but i have yet to try it, will they notice it? mine are already over 4mths...

1 tablespoon per gallon is the article's suggestion, they actually spoke of it in regards to sour crop prevention.

Trying to read through this string, have 4 chicks that arrived a few days ago and they are kept in with 2 ducklings. I can't give them medicated feed because they are in with the ducks, but I probably can give the ACV in with their water? But is it yogurt that has to be organic or does the ACV need to be too? because I wanted to start them on this right away and only have the normal stuff at home?

Guys, guys...  it has to be ORGANIC ACV.  The regular stuff sold by Heintz is pasturized and therefore void of any good benefits.  I buy mine at Kroger in the health food section.  The brand name is Braggs Organic ACV.  It is supposed to be an effective wormer but the main benefit that I use it for is to stop algae growth in my 5 gallon waterer.   The amount to add for ANY age chicken is one tablespoon per gallon of water.

Can we get it in Ontario?

Back
Top Bottom