Apple Cider Vinegar for Chicks?

The organic/unpasteurized is ideal, and I honestly haven't had as positive of results when using the pasteurized, but there's nothing wrong with using the Heinz (or whatever).

But you don't have to buy Braggs, which is super expensive. You can make your own. It will go faster if you do buy an initial bottle of Braggs to start the first batch, but from then on you can save a portion of each batch to start the next. I won't post the link again, but in my previous post I give a link to a blog post on making ACV yourself, which saves a TON of money and is super easy.

I drink ACV in a tea every night before bed. Hot herbal tea, ACV, and honey. You can even add lemon. It is a great cleanser and helps you to sleep better. Also, it helps to calm your nerves.

I would imagine that it may help to make chickens to calm down a bit as well. Don't know for sure. Just a thought.

We have been using acv in the chicks water from day 1, using 1 Tbsp per gallon . We had 1 loss in the 40 chicks we started with they have grown into good looking productive chickens. I have used the Braggs & grocery store type from my prospective can't tell whole lot of difference but when I can I get Bragg's. In giving it to the chicks only had 2 to have pasty butt. Their feathers are shiny they have good weight.

Give it right away. I hatched 4 araucana chicks last week who all got bad pasty butt. I wish I had started with the ACV right because it helps the digestion. I've already lost one and another is on the way out.You have to use the good, organic stuff with the mother, like Braggs. It's good for people, too. A little tonic of ACV, honey and lemon.
smile.png

Ingles carries organic ACV in the regular vinegar section.

To make your own yogurt, start with 1 quart store bought or home-pasteurized goats milk I buy from a local farm. I add 1/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder (if I'm using low fat milk or store bought) and one tablespoon store bought plain yogurt or some you have made in the last week and put it all in the yogurt maker for 12-14 hours. I have never tried the crock pot but now I'm going to...all the little cups in the yogurt maker are a pain to clean.

Making your own ACV is easy. Basically you get frozen apple juice, dilute it by the instructions on the can and let it sit in a jar with a coffee filter over it secured with a rubber band. Goes much faster if you have a cup of Braggs to throw in there to get it started. Put the jar somewhere that it will stay around 75-80 degrees and wait a month. If it makes a white layer on top, its working. That white layer is the "mother" or the yeast that is turning the juice into vinegar. Has to be frozen because the bottled juice has been sterilized and the enzymes taken out or killed, won't work well if at all. That's it. Then use part of that mother to make your next batch.

I've been making it a while and end up with way too much "mother." I found that if I cut one up into pieces the chickens eat it hahaha. It has a lot of great stuff in it for them so I love using it up that way if I can't give it away to someone wanting to make their own vinegar.

I'm pretty sure that frozen juice has been pasteurized at one point also or they wouldn't be able to sell it for consumption in the stores. You can take just about any kind of juice, frozen or bottled, and get it to ferment if left somewhere warm for long enough.

Stop and Shop sells Braggs ACV for $2.99 a (16 Fl oz.) bottle in the Organic Foods section.

I like the idea of fermenting your own since you know it really has a mother. As a bread and cheese maker, you kinda want to know about these things.

Back
Top Bottom