apple cider vinegar

I have three waterers in with my chickens. One metal one with plain water in the run, and one metal one with plain water in the coop along with a plastic one with ACV. I want them to have access to clean water in case the ACV goes sour. The chickens empty the ACV long before the other waterers.

I offer my chickens both fresh water and water with ACV - They drink both about equally. I am wondering how much they taste.

I heard in little chicks it can help prevent pasty butt - so for my second batch of chicks I used it a lot but my older chicks never had it until they were 9 weeks old. They drank it.
cal
jax fl

I created a self watering system with a plastic tank and PVC. It has fittings that are mostly plastic but have little stainless steel nipples that the birds push up to get water. There is one galvanized fitting between the tank and the PVC. I was wondering if this is too much metal to use with the vinegar.

I added about 4 tsp to one gallon yesterday and the chickens took a drink and shook their heads like they were trying to get it off their beaks. they didn't drink much, so I diluted it more in the evening, and it looks like they are drinking it...I guess you have to go slow at first.

Quote:
My watering setup is like that, and I am using 6 TBSP of Bragg's ACV each time I fill the 5 gallon bucket and haven't seen any corrosion issues yet. I think the acid would affect galvanized more than stainless, but that is just my uninformed gut feeling on the issue.

Quote:
Nope, I buy a gallon jug and keep it out on the counter. It takes several months to use it up (I use it for salad dressing, as an anti-fungal on my horse's feet, and also for the chooks). I think the "use by" date is like 2013 or something.

Hi Shopchicks. Thanks For Answer Re: Acv.my Gals Seem To Love It. How Are Things In Boise. I'm In Coeur'd Alene.waiting For The Fall. Its Too Hot Up Here. Thanks Again Jim.'turbo 13

Back
Top Bottom