apple cider vinegar

I am going to try it in my chicken water that I have made with drinking nipples. As stated earlier in the post someone else has tried it with no problems. I will post if there are any problems.
I cant remember if anyone said how early one can start using it with chicks.

The cost is high for Bragg so I have been making my own. I take a gallon of regular distilled ACV from the store remove about a cup then add a cup of well shaken ACV with the mother (Bragg or some other ACV you have). Set in a dark place at room temp so it can do it's thing for 4 or 5 weeks and viola one gallon of ACV with mother and all the other good stuff...

un-distillation I guess it would be called....

Kind of like using sourdough starter
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hello----Should we give it to the chickens all the time or just some of the time? I put 1 T ACV. to one gallon of water--have been giving it for almost 3 weeks. I occasionally change out fresh water for a day. My chickens seem to be very happy now and laying pretty good. Also want to tell everyone how much I enjoy BYC . I am learning so much from all of you.

I take ACV pills daily for help with metabolism and weight loss. Doubt they are organic. Not sure it helps for that but I never get fleas when I go outside. hahaha The puppy here likes to lick a pill and then run from it only to lick it again and run. She sniffs it and rolls around on top of it. I don't think my chickens will roll around on ACV pills though and be quite as much entertainment. I've read that it keeps fleas off pets if you can get them to drink it so maybe ACV will help with mites and fleas that bite chickies as well.

I have two or three 2-week old chicks out of 18 that I puchased recently; they have developed a sneeze/head shaking action lately and from what I read, it may be soemthing respiratory - any idea if I add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water if it will help cure this problem ?

hi,i am new here.i have 5 bluebells 2 silver sussex and 1 speckled sussex.they have the run of my garden.regarding cider vinegar,i dont put mine in the water, they are a bit fussy with greens so i blitz greens such as broccoli courgettes cabbage tomatoes with a spoon of cv olive oil and cracked maize.they eat so much of it they sleep for ages after.

Is diluted to 5% acid OK to use, I have seen talk of non distillers only, the non distiller is hard to find.

CAN I GIVE MY CHICKS ACV IN THEIR WATER OR IS IT ONLY FOR ADULT CHICKENS?

It will be fine to put in their water. No need to do it everyday, but once per week or so will be ok for them. Along with ACV, a bit of garlic and some probiotics every now and again are good, natural ways to build up a chicks immune system and help prevent things such as coccidiosis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom